Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Can you grout with tile adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Snowfrog

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. Wish me luck. :)

D

DHTiling

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I had to nip out for dog food. CR, he's was paid up to last Friday, he's not been paid for the work he's done today. To be fair to him, the tiles are level, but that's the best thing I can say about his work. As for the UFH, can it be checked without switching on, as it's not supposed to be turned on for a week?

Dave, I did tell him about the tiles this morning, he was full of apologies, but I really don't see any way to reverse what he's done. Thanks for the heads up about grout having anti fungal protection, I can use that as the reason for him to change it. I'm a real scaredy cat and am not looking forward to tackling him. :(

When you are not happy, then you need to confront him..

You want the required finish you have paid him for.:thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

It's this one I take it

Larsen Building Products - Products - Tiling - Manufacturer, Supplier of Concrete, Mortar and Plaster, Tiling, Flooring, Waterproofing, Timber and Filling and Sealing products based in Northern Ireland.

Even though it says adhesive and grout in small letters on the bag I can't find any info on the data sheet that suggests it can be used as such, I'm wondering if those words are relating to the types of product Larsen make rather than the uses of the contents?

I think i just said that phil...it is just larsens advert for their products..professional tile adhesive and grout...wrote on all bags..:thumbsup:

And I think I said it before both of you:lol::lol: but lets not nic pic

C

Colour Republic

Hi Snow,

It can be checked without turning it on and I think most on here would say to leave it longer than a week before turning on:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

I'm wondering if those words are relating to the types of product Larsen make

Wondering...:lol:..Phil and i were sure...:prrr:....

Anyway...It is deffo adhesive and not all in one product.... This fellow has taken a short cut...and needs sorting asap.

C

Colour Republic

Oh and don't be afraid of him, if would be easier then maybe get a friend round for when you confront him. Don't both attack him as he may become harder to deal with but just having somebody else in the house may mean he becomes more reasonable and you can get the result you want i.e sort out his mistake without it costing you.

If he values his work he would want to make sure you the customer are happy

Last edited by a moderator:
F

faithhealer

Sorry to hear your tale snowfrog, please stand your ground and as previously said , get a friend round for moral support. Email Dave to find out if one of our tilers lives near you. I'm sure nobody would mind giving you some one on one advice

S

Snowfrog

Hi again everyone, thanks so much for all of your advice and support. I told him about the grout this morning and even though he was insistent that the adhesive was was grout as well, I stuck my ground and told him that I wanted it changed. He said he'll do it, so fingers crossed he'll do a good job of it.

Faithhealer, I'm just hoping it is all okay when he's finished as I can't afford to get it up and start over. There's no way of recouping any money back from him for the work done, nor the cost of replacing tiles and UFH, so whatever the end result, I'm stuck with it. :(

D

Deleted member 9966

Hi Snowfrog

When he starts to rake the adhesive out between the tiles, he's going to have to be very careful not to chip the tiles. I think I recall you saying they were travertine, so just make sure he doesn't rush it. Raking out from between tiles is laborious work.

I hope it all works out for you.

GRR :thumbsup:

J

jimbob

He'll obviously need to rake out enough to get a good bed for the new grout, but if he has tiled straight onto the underfloor heating wires, he needs to be careful he doesn't rake out too much and damage one of the wires in the adhesive bed. Just a thought :thumbsup:

F

faithhealer

Hi again everyone, thanks so much for all of your advice and support. I told him about the grout this morning and even though he was insistent that the adhesive was was grout as well, I stuck my ground and told him that I wanted it changed. He said he'll do it, so fingers crossed he'll do a good job of it.

Faithhealer, I'm just hoping it is all okay when he's finished as I can't afford to get it up and start over. There's no way of recouping any money back from him for the work done, nor the cost of replacing tiles and UFH, so whatever the end result, I'm stuck with it. :(
Irrelevant of the fact it wasn't adhesive/grout it wasn't the grout you asked for was it

H

hillhead

Davy G on here has a brother i think it is who is high up in larsen in Belfast.He should see this post and show it to larsen !!! this is not a nice situation snowfrog.looks like you man has maybe read bag wrong and maybe larsen have labelled their bags wrong thinking it was marketing.

C

Colour Republic

Davy G on here has a brother i think it is who is high up in larsen in Belfast.He should see this post and show it to larsen !!! this is not a nice situation snowfrog.looks like you man has maybe read bag wrong and maybe larsen have labelled their bags wrong thinking it was marketing.

To be fair the bag was also labelled 'Professional' so the guy shouldn't have been allowed to use it in the first place:oops:

S

Snowfrog

Well he hasn't come in today, he's got a cold. I noticed last night after he left that the floor has been laid wonky, and the tiles are out from near the bath to the door by 4 cm and also he hasn't put them up to match the wall tiles. I've just taken two photos so you can see for yourselves what sort of job he's doing. I'm so fed up.

Reply to Can you grout with tile adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks