Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Can you grout with tile adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Snowfrog

It's almost finished. He couldn't finish today because of the weather, as he couldn't go outside to cut tiles, this after my living in a snowstorm last week as he took it upon himself to cut the tiles inside. I can't take the tiles up as I had an electrician lay under tile heating and I presume that will be damaged if I try to take the tiles up.

P

Peter

I use the Larsen stuff listed on the other page quite regularly. Wouldn't be suitable for use as a grout. If you look at the grout joints, usually an adhesive will look more grainy and dirty than a grout would. If it's white adhesive, it'll dry out slighty off white with specs of black/various colours in it,

C

Colour Republic

It's almost finished. He couldn't finish today because of the weather, as he couldn't go outside to cut tiles, this after my living in a snowstorm last week as he took it upon himself to cut the tiles inside. I can't take the tiles up as I had an electrician lay under tile heating and I presume that will be damaged if I try to take the tiles up.

I promise you the industry is not like this and it's a few bad eggs that give us all a bad name. If you post some pictures i'm sure the members here will come up with some suggestions to rectify the job. Was there anything laid on top of the under floor heating before he laid the tiles? most tilers like to lay a leveling compound over UFH before tiling to ensure that the cables are not damaged whilst tiling. Some tilers don't as they are careful but it doesn't sound as though this guy is very careful!

I would get the UFH checked out that no damage has been caused by this guy. It is a grey area to withhold payment from a tradesman, you have to go about it in the right manner but judging by what you've told us you would have a case to do so.

D

DHTiling

Hi snowfrog....just to clear something up here....where it say's on the bag..tile adhesive and grout....this is actually inconnection with the wording above it on the bag...As in " Larsen proferssional tile adhesive and grout...as in that is what Larsen make...not that this is what is in the bag...all thier bags say this..

Now onto what this fellow has done...i shall not call him a tiler..

What he has done is wrong and will cause you no end of cleaning grief..and no bacterial( anti fungal) protection that most grouts offer.

I think you need to stop him in his tracks and get this problem sorted...it is going to be a nightmare to remove the adhesive now it is set but this is not your fault and his problem to rectify.

Also if he has fixed tiles you stated not to, then this needs mentioning as well...

Please confront him ASAP and then we can see what he say's and take it from there..

B

Bolter

Where are you from? Im sure someone from this forum would be willing to pop over and check it all out, on the quiet of course.

If you are near me, I would be happy to.

Reaction score
If you look in the yellow band at the top of the bag it say's it in there, but it also says it on their bags of grout as well. Proberbly meaning it comes from the larrsons professional range of adhesives and grouts. Bad labeling imo

D

DHTiling

I think i just said that phil...it is just larsens advert for their products..professional tile adhesive and grout...wrote on all bags..:thumbsup:

S

Snowfrog

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I had to nip out for dog food. CR, he's was paid up to last Friday, he's not been paid for the work he's done today. To be fair to him, the tiles are level, but that's the best thing I can say about his work. As for the UFH, can it be checked without switching on, as it's not supposed to be turned on for a week?

Dave, I did tell him about the tiles this morning, he was full of apologies, but I really don't see any way to reverse what he's done. Thanks for the heads up about grout having anti fungal protection, I can use that as the reason for him to change it. I'm a real scaredy cat and am not looking forward to tackling him. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

Never mind what is written on the bag, the client provided GROUT in a chosen colour and this Bozo chose to grout with white adhesive among all the other errors......how many lives does this guy need ? :ban:

Reply to Can you grout with tile adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks