Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Can you backer board over standard toungue and groove floor boards? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

flippa

-
Reaction score
Hi all, please bare with me as I am a plasterer by trade but quite handy round the house. I want to tile my hallway with some new slick white tiles and follow straight through into the kitchen. Now I have done this many years ago at my old place with ply wood base but have never used these backer boards that a lot of the guys on site at work are harping on about.

My question is, can you backer board directly over standard floor boards with flexible adhesive and screws ready for tile or would you need to ply first then backer board. Or even just ply. I seem to get so many mixed responses on this one so have come here for some accurate advice from people in the know.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks all.

flippa

-
Reaction score
Just use the backerboard straight onto the boards as long as thety are secure and deflection is at a minimum. I like to use hardibacker.. đź‘Ť
Thanks for your help Dave much appreciated buddy đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
Please contribute to this thread if you have any new information or can even just reiterate what has been said already. :)
Hi all, please bare with me as I am a plasterer by trade but quite handy round the house. I want to tile my hallway with some new slick white tiles and follow straight through into the kitchen. Now I have done this many years ago at my old place with ply wood base but have never used these backer boards that a lot of the guys on site at work are harping on about.

My question is, can you backer board directly over standard floor boards with flexible adhesive and screws ready for tile or would you need to ply first then backer board. Or even just ply. I seem to get so many mixed responses on this one so have come here for some accurate advice from people in the know.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks all.
Alot of tilers love the backer boards !! I prefer using top grade ply well screwed on a bounce free floor !! Then use a decoupling membrane

Reply to Can you backer board over standard toungue and groove floor boards? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks