Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Brick Slips on floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

J Sid

Had a customer contact me a month or so ago, listed building, want old looking brick floor.
They have found and bought some brick's cut into slips from eastern Europe, look ok, so gave a price to fix, grout and seal.
They didn't know what colour grout to go with so did a sample board, but the day before I did it they emailed to say they like the sawn side up.... Ok i thought and did this. Looked what I was, tiles layed up the wrong way....
now I have had a email saying they would like them butt joint and not grouted, lounge floor. The bricks are all sizes and would not work butted.

question is what would you do?
do it or walk?

O

Old Mod

Work to their drawn up plans, and sign agreement haha how thick are they Julian, do you trust em not to break?

I

Italy

Old brick, rettificato

Fotografie-0006.jpg

J

J Sid

Work to their drawn up plans, and sign agreement haha how thick are they Julian, do you trust em not to break?
break? Customer or brick :) good point.
so soft if they were in a high foot fall area I would think they would get worn away within a year :(

O

Old Mod

Right way up with flat to floor is one thing, textured side down.....something else possibly.
Don't know never done it. Thinking out loud haha

T

Time's Ran Out

First of all it has to be a premium costing.
Is there a pattern i.e. Herringbone.
The size differences can be overcome by selection and block measurement.
Block paviours are using a grouting compound that comes in a tub, add water after its sprinkled and it sets!
We did an internal reception room to blend with the outside block paving. It was meant to flow out, as patios do these days, but they were brick slips cut from a slightly bigger brick! We pointed it with sand/cement on a 3mm minimum joint. More like fixing terracotta but he wouldn't have it oil sealed and it was really difficult to grout despite 4 coats of clear seal .
Good luck. It could look tremendous.

J

J Sid

Block paviours are using a grouting compound that comes in a tub, add water after its sprinkled and it sets!
We did an internal reception room to blend with the outside block paving. It was meant to flow out, as patios do these days, but they were brick slips cut from a slightly bigger brick! We pointed it with sand/cement on a 3mm minimum joint. More like fixing terracotta but he wouldn't have it oil sealed and it was really difficult to grout despite 4 coats of clear seal .
herringbone,yes
25mm thick and they want textured side down, cut/sawn up.
these are like soft reds but a very light coloured red. Yes very terracotta ish.
was looking forward to this job, not now.

I think if they don't want to do it the right way I will walk....

J

J Sid

would ask for pic John but probably done before coloured photos were available:)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

herringbone,yes
25mm thick and they want textured side down, cut/sawn up.
these are like soft reds but a very light coloured red. Yes very terracotta ish.
was looking forward to this job, not now.

I think if they don't want to do it the right way I will walk....

Not sure there is a ' right way '! The cut edge will have a smoother finish and if oil sealed could look worn and aged.
Your not going to get many similar projects so it should be a really interesting job - but only if they except a premium value.

J

J Sid

Not sure there is a ' right way '! The cut edge will have a smoother finish and if oil sealed could look worn and aged.
Your not going to get many similar projects so it should be a really interesting job - but only if they except a premium value.
yes John, was really looks for to it. The sort if jobs I like every now and then. A chance to give a premium finish with a different material.
I'll speak to the customer and point out the down side of what they are wanting and see what they say.

T

Time's Ran Out

There seems to be a frenzy of new look floors about - end grain wood blocks, pennies, epoxy coatings, tiled planks, etc but you can't beat a bit of original side of brick!
25 years ago I did an apartment in reclaimed quarries - reclaimed from the sewers in France - we get all their sh*te!

J

J Sid

well finally got to lay some floor yesterday. Customer showed me a pick of a 14th century rough floor and said, like this please, but was still thinks to leave un grouted.
layed and sealed them, and the wife loved it, an American and turns out the husband is a architect. 2 in 1 week, but that's another story.
so they are now going to live with it for a while.
WP_20161012_07_25_29_Rich.jpg

Reply to Brick Slips on floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks