Search the forum,

Discuss Brick Slips on floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

J Sid

First of all it has to be a premium costing.
Is there a pattern i.e. Herringbone.
The size differences can be overcome by selection and block measurement.
Block paviours are using a grouting compound that comes in a tub, add water after its sprinkled and it sets!
We did an internal reception room to blend with the outside block paving. It was meant to flow out, as patios do these days, but they were brick slips cut from a slightly bigger brick! We pointed it with sand/cement on a 3mm minimum joint. More like fixing terracotta but he wouldn't have it oil sealed and it was really difficult to grout despite 4 coats of clear seal .
Good luck. It could look tremendous.

would ask for pic John but probably done before coloured photos were available:)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

herringbone,yes
25mm thick and they want textured side down, cut/sawn up.
these are like soft reds but a very light coloured red. Yes very terracotta ish.
was looking forward to this job, not now.

I think if they don't want to do it the right way I will walk....

Not sure there is a ' right way '! The cut edge will have a smoother finish and if oil sealed could look worn and aged.
Your not going to get many similar projects so it should be a really interesting job - but only if they except a premium value.

J

J Sid

Not sure there is a ' right way '! The cut edge will have a smoother finish and if oil sealed could look worn and aged.
Your not going to get many similar projects so it should be a really interesting job - but only if they except a premium value.
yes John, was really looks for to it. The sort if jobs I like every now and then. A chance to give a premium finish with a different material.
I'll speak to the customer and point out the down side of what they are wanting and see what they say.

T

Time's Ran Out

There seems to be a frenzy of new look floors about - end grain wood blocks, pennies, epoxy coatings, tiled planks, etc but you can't beat a bit of original side of brick!
25 years ago I did an apartment in reclaimed quarries - reclaimed from the sewers in France - we get all their sh*te!

J

J Sid

well finally got to lay some floor yesterday. Customer showed me a pick of a 14th century rough floor and said, like this please, but was still thinks to leave un grouted.
layed and sealed them, and the wife loved it, an American and turns out the husband is a architect. 2 in 1 week, but that's another story.
so they are now going to live with it for a while.
WP_20161012_07_25_29_Rich.jpg

L

LM

That looks really well Julian, but I don't fancy the hygiene aspect of it. "Ours is not to question why" ehh

Reply to Brick Slips on floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen