Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss bathroom floor grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bluevin123

Hi,
I Tiled a bathroom floor last week and grouted it on the Friday, anyway about two hours later my plumber mate came to finish off the plumbing, connect toilet and basin up properly and put the shower screen up and bath pannel on.
Was called back today as the grout had cracked and some came out,which I half expected.

I plyed the floor as normal and screwed down ok,but there seems to be movement in a few tiles.
I regrouted the few grout lines that had cracked and added some Bal GT1 to the Bal flexi grout.
Hopefully this will do the job.
I said to the customer to not walk on it tonight but tomorrow should be ok and dont hesitate to call me back if it cracks once again.
I know you cant see the job, but do you think it could crack again?

If it does I might lift four or so tiles and screw down even more before placing the tiles back.
I put them about every 8-10 inches apart.
What dya reckon folks?
Cheers.:thumbsup:
Vin.

T

trevortine

The fact your plumber mate was walking on it after two hours wouldnt have helped. If youve done it with gt1 then i cant see it happening again unless there is some deflection in the floor.

D

DHTiling

Yep..you shouldn't add additive to an already modified grout...and plumber walking on it will deffo not help..:ban:

B

bluevin123

Hi
I used Topps own brand flexi adhesive. I expected it to crack/ come out as the plumber was treading on the floor to finish the job by our deadline. Not ideal I know!
Cheers
Vin

B

bluevin123

plumber was going on holiday and client wanted it finished by that day, did what we could in the situation we were in. Not ideal, but done now.

pete f

TF
Arms
Reaction score
it will definately crack again because ther is movement in the floor the tiles will stick to the ply but the grout will fail

S

Sean fsy

im sure your plumber mate is bothered about his actions while he is sunning it up on the beach. i think you were in the wrong allowing him to go in there to complete the work. at a guess i would say that the plumber had let you down and came at his convenience thus the job running late. lesson learnt i think that work, mates just dont work.

W

White Room

Sean have you introduced yourself in the new members section, do so you sound quite a personality

Reply to bathroom floor grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks