Search the forum,

Discuss Another moaning thread by me in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikebidd

Phone rang yesterday a couple who want a bathroom doing Floor and walls they have tiles but thats it they wanted to suppl everything and just me do the work. As you will know im Desperate for work so got excited and went to quote this morning.

I basically quoted my self in at 65 a day. And then materials on top I thought this was cheap as in too cheap. I also told them what they would need to buy Addy Grout Ply (for floor etc.) they said they had another quote too get and theyd ring me back.

Just had a phone call to say theyd found some one cheaper Who said they didnt need the wood for floor etc as its sold enough?? When i was at collage we had it drilled into us that Floor boards need boarding Everytime??

Just abit annoyed how can some one else do it cheaper?? im walking too job etc so have no travel costs etc.
1!
Angry because i thought it was abit off light at the end off tunnel!

is 65 quid a day really too dear?? If its too cheap i know i might be undercutting some people but iv been 6 week now with no income and too be fair my family comes before some one elses feelings.

Sorry For ANOTHER rant.

I put it in here because off reference to cash.

D

Deleted member 9966

Mike

If the customer has found a cowboy that will do it for less than £65 a day labour rate, bid the customer a good day and walk away. Good tilers round my way charge double that if they can. Whoever is going to do that customer's bathroom clearly isn't a professional tiler and cannot possibly be doing tiling full time if they're trying to earn a living on less than £65 a day before taxes.

Your other option is to gather as much evidence about botched jobs and show it to the customer if you think it will sway their view. It's worth a try if they're still in the umming and ahhing stage.

the cowboys are very infuriating :mad2:​

U

user123

Pfffff....not good is it.... If I was you, don't know if the others agree with me here, I would ring them back and just gently advise them that floorboards are NOT solid enough and that you pride yourself on giving the customer good service that lasts at a perfectly reasonable cost. The choice who they want to employ is obviously theirs but to point out that fixing a floor again in a few months time because of poor substrate will cost them more in the long run. Thank them for their enquiry and tell them you would be happy to do the job well if they change their mind.

You may just get a call back. :thumbsup:

U

united

Sorry to hear this Mike

You can't compete with silly prices like that. As above, all you can do is advise the customer about the floor and try to show examples of what can happen.

Hope things pick up for you soon mate!

Where did they get your number from? Only asking because where ever they got it from, it worked so make sure you keep it up

M

mikethetile

its hard mate

65 is way too cheap to run a business

you were right not to cut the overboarding out of your quote

keep going mate things are defffo getting better

B

brian c

Its a cheap day rate m8.Let them get it done cheaper as i cant see it being to a very high standard at all.Maybe time for you to get some sort of employment until the tiling picks up.Good luck.

M

mikebidd

Cheers for replys.

They got my number from a local Diy store iv rung them and said thank you for passing a card over.

When i did my tiling course i didnt realise that everyman and his dog thinks they can tile im by no means as expert and too be fair still learning hence the 65 a day and i do tell people that iv not been doing it long but then show them pics off what i have done so far and the couple were impressed. in short im might be cheaper but i might take a little longer.

I was polite on the phone and just asked them too keep hold off the card in case they need anything else doing. The problem is when the tiles do crack ill feel sorry for them.

As for the other employment mate im trying but theres only a certain group off things i can do. And iv been lucky in the fact that i sold my car too fund this tiling course and tools and to support us until it picked up. Also im now more off the house wife lol, The wife works and i have the kids tidy and cook t most off the time. But her income isnt enought to support the mortgage bills etc etc.

In short and in all honusty i though id do the course buy the tools an with in a few weeks bee earning anoth too cover the bills. I now know that was a stupid idea but so many people think along the same lines.

D

doug boardley

Mike, I feel for you mate, how about advising them to have a look on TF (their viewing forums will be limited of course), there will be ample advice here to sway even the most ignorant of the need for proper preparation. Also I think £65 a day is way way too cheap. Good luck!

Reply to Another moaning thread by me in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views
Hello, Hopefully someone can advise as I'm confused when it comes to choosing correct adhesive...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen