Search the forum,

Discuss wet or dry for best finish / cut in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jeepster1961

hi all, newbie diy question,

i am tiling our bathroom, all has gone ok, gone fine but when cutting tiles around the bathroom window have run into problems.
the tiles are 600*300 glazed porcelain.
i bought one of those electric tile wet cutting tables, when i cut the tiles it leaves a serated edge on the tile. would i get a better cut / finish if i bought a cutter such as a Big Clinker Tile Cutter 610mm.
the tiles are about 9mm thick.

thanks

F

faithhealer

you would still need the wet cutter round the window, does trim hide the edge?

J

jeepster1961

hi and cheers for the reply, the cut butts up against the trim, i wasnt sure if the grout would conceal the rough cut.

where would you use the other type of cutter?

F

Fekin

hi and cheers for the reply, the cut butts up against the trim, i wasnt sure if the grout would conceal the rough cut.

where would you use the other type of cutter?

If you have bought the correct size tile trim then the cut side of the tile would fit into the trim hiding any roughness, and not just butt upto it.

J

jeepster1961

hi, the window sill is 270mm deep so i have to cut a tile to fit, so one edge will fit into the trim.

the tile on the wall that fits upto the bottom of the trim needs to be cut, both tiles cant fit into the trim.

i bought the biggest trim i could find but the tile wont fit into it.

do you know a supplier that does trim bigger than 9or 10mm

G

garretridge

hi, the window sill is 270mm deep so i have to cut a tile to fit, so one edge will fit into the trim.

the tile on the wall that fits upto the bottom of the trim needs to be cut, both tiles cant fit into the trim.

i bought the biggest trim i could find but the tile wont fit into it.

do you know a supplier that does trim bigger than 9or 10mm

you can get 12mm trim but you should be able to cut neat then any little mistakes will be covered when you grout!:thumbsup:

Reaction score
Nice clean cut, on a Rubi/Monty/Sigma dry machine, will be fine against the correct depth edge trim:thumbsup:

Is there enough water in your electric machine when you're using it? Sounds like it';s running dry if it's leaving a serated edge or the wheel's not in properly...

M

mikethetile

I found this when I bought my wet cutter, ok on ceramics but chipped porcalain

I changed the wheel for a marcrist and had no more bother

you do need to butt your tile to the trim so you probably have the right size, increasing trim size will leave you with a proud edge around your window

M

mikethetile

:welcome:

I had same problem when I bought my wet cutter, cut ceramic fine but chipped porcelain

I changed the wheel for a marcrist and had no more bother

you need to butt your tiles to the trim so you have bought the right size, icreasing the size will leave the trim proud of the tiles

A

Aston

try scribing the porcelain first before wet cutting...i find a continuous rim blade is better than marcrist for wet cutting, just my opinion :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to wet or dry for best finish / cut in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi there, hoping for some help here. I am about to install a small (2.2x2.5m approx) area of...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen