Search the forum,

Discuss Wedi Board or Hardie in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RDTiling

Hi all.

I'm currently redoing my own kitchen. Once I get up the old self adhesive floor tiles, I'll be looking to overboard the floor boards prior to tiling.

I've never used Wedi before (I have used Hardie in the past), however I'm always looking to try out a "new" product and what better opportunity than in my own house.

I was looking through CTDs trade offers for Q4 or 2014, and spotted that 6mm wedi boards are cheaper than 6mm Hardie boards. My question is, are the properties of 6mm wedi as good as/the same as/better than 6mm hardie?

From reading, Wedi is pedominantly used in bathroom/wet areas, however is there anything to stop my using it on my kitchen floor as a backer board prior to tiling the floor?

Thanks,
Rich

R

Rookery

I don't think the boards on offer at CTD are Wedi but something very similar, but cheaper than the real Wedi. Also they are a bit smaller than Hardie. I'd use Hardie in this instance.

S

Stef

As Rookery says, they are not Wedi boards, they are construction boards & they are supposedly Jako boards without the branding.
They are 1200x600. Hardie are 1200x800, the construction boards are easier to work with but they are nowhere near as strong as Hardie.

D

Dougs Third Go

either/or for me, only draw back with the polycore boards are using washers to stop screws pulling through.

R

RDTiling

Thanks all.

I had noticed the slightly smaller size of the Wedi boards at CTD.

To play it safe, I'll use Hardie, but I'm glad I asked the question! :thumbsup:

Reply to Wedi Board or Hardie in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Im a plumber who also fits bathrooms and kitchens, thats the tiling part! Based...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi all. This isn’t a sob story, just an unfortunate truth I have stretched myself to in inch...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen