Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Unusual old Victorian hallway tiled floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
B87537CF-87A0-4982-A08B-AD976CB7C9FA.jpeg
F0D1058D-7F03-4DEC-A91C-5B228B342526.jpeg

this is quite an unusual Victorian hallway , thought I would share it with you guys
When I arrived I noticed all the salts coming up through the edges only. Then after cleaning etc and removing tiles for replacing it became evident that all the central body tiles are what I believe to be a newer ( but still old ) type of Victorian reproduction tile. They have an “H” on them at the back and they are about 8mm thick and more like a porcelain , very dense.

So I have been having to chisel down the solid concrete to make the Original style ones fit flush. Very boring indeed!

Reaction score
Are you sure the edge tiles are original? Normally, from all the ones I have dealt with, the tiles have been fixed almost to the wall and the skirting placed on top.
Seeing your photos it looks like the edges have been tiled to the face of the skirting meaning the skirts were fitted first!

OP
T
Reaction score
Are you sure the edge tiles are original? Normally, from all the ones I have dealt with, the tiles have been fixed almost to the wall and the skirting placed on top.
Seeing your photos it looks like the edges have been tiled to the face of the skirting meaning the skirts were fitted first!
Yes the screed is all solid concrete with big aggregate bits and whoever layed it tiled directly onto the mix ( they are very stuck, I never expected tile straight on to concrete would do that)
They must have used a more original edging tile as they are thicker and porous , and also look old exactly like the authentic Victorian tiles. But they used some porcelain type tile for the body.
So it looks like a reproduction in Victorian style some years after the house was built.

It’s just different to all the other ones I have seen.

Reply to Unusual old Victorian hallway tiled floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock