Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling onto calcium based screed in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, just after some advice if anyone can help. I’ve just poured the floor on my extension at 110mm thick using Agilia (calcium based).

I am wanting to tile in about 5-6 weeks but after reading a lot on this it has become apparent there will still be moisture in the floor and I should wait for it to dry at 1mm per day.

Of course I don’t want to have a brand new kitchen installed and all my skirting and painted and still have no floor tiles, it seems silly.

What are the implications, if any, of laying porcelain tiles on the floor (600x900mm). They will be on a tilemaster mat and using Kerrakoll Eco A primer with Kerrakoll https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Is it the movement from the drying out process or the actual moisture that is the problem?

No underfloor heating before I get asked.

Thanks in advance

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It's the moisture that's the problem. Are you sure its calcium sulphate based? At 110mm it would be far deeper than recommended. There are several agila concrete though that would be that deep.

OP
M
Reaction score
:)
Why 110mm thick. ? .. wow.

Oh and welcome 👍👍
I don’t actually know I’ve got a builder in to do it, I was a bit surprised too when he told me 110mm.

Thanks!

Any advice on if it’s actually going to cause an issue or if it’s just one of those obligatory manufacturers guidance, as I’d be waiting 220 days to tile it if I followed that… surely nobody waits that long?

OP
M
Reaction score
It's the moisture that's the problem. Are you sure its calcium sulphate based? At 110mm it would be far deeper than recommended. There are several agila concrete though that would be that deep.
What would the moisture do pop the tiles? I’m pretty sure I haven’t actually asked him exactly which agilia it was as I’ve only really been looking into it today but it was pumped in and it’s flat as a pancake without any tamping so I can only assume so

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score

What would the moisture do pop the tiles? I’m pretty sure I haven’t actually asked him exactly which agilia it was as I’ve only really been looking into it today but it was pumped in and it’s flat as a pancake without any tamping so I can only assume so
You need to find out then we can advise properly.

OP
M
Reaction score

You need to find out then we can advise properly.
So I’ve found out today it’s MaxiAgilia, after ringing them about 3 times today I finally got through to their technical manager and he’s told me it’s a cement based screed, not anhydrite and it will dry at 1mm per day for floor tile. It will need the curing agent scraping off the top too and he said it can be forced dry with dehumidifiers. So the question is do I need to wait 110 days or will 45-50 days be enough as that’s when I wanted to do it?

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score

So I’ve found out today it’s MaxiAgilia, after ringing them about 3 times today I finally got through to their technical manager and he’s told me it’s a cement based screed, not anhydrite and it will dry at 1mm per day for floor tile. It will need the curing agent scraping off the top too and he said it can be forced dry with dehumidifiers. So the question is do I need to wait 110 days or will 45-50 days be enough as that’s when I wanted to do it?
Its agila concrete then. Just a self compacting concrete so sand of the curing agent and treat like any other concrete. If it's too wet you could use a liquid damp proof membrane

OP
M
Reaction score
If I used a liquid DPM like blackjack though then surely the screed would never actually dry as there’s nowhere for the moisture to go at that point? Feels like I’m just creating another issue possibly?

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If I used a liquid DPM like blackjack though then surely the screed would never actually dry as there’s nowhere for the moisture to go at that point? Feels like I’m just creating another issue possibly?
That's perhaps because you're not fully familiar with concrete chemistry. Cement will continue to react with water as long as water is present. That uses some water up over time. Liquid dpm technology has also moved forward very considerably since black Jack was the material of choice. They are mostly epoxy or polyurethane. They are vapour check systems which have a low but not zero moisture transmission rate. They allow moisture out at a rate at which the primers and adhesives can cope with it. The concrete will eventually dry out. It'll just take a long time.

There are probably more floor with liquid dpms than not these days. No one wants to wait :)

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score

The moisture would pop the tiles yes !! That's why noone tiles on fresh concrete , screed etc etc !but if I was this person I would want to know clearly what was pumped in !! I have just read a load of dos and don't about this !and there are alot of don't s !! For starters it should have been tamped at a deep depth and then again at 15mm to 20 mm !! And also expansion joints cut in soon after!! But only for certain size areas !! It sounds like a hydrate screed which is also tempermental!! The depth is fine though !no thinner than 75mm !!

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score

The moisture would pop the tiles yes !! That's why noone tiles on fresh concrete , screed etc etc !but if I was this person I would want to know clearly what was pumped in !! I have just read a load of dos and don't about this !and there are alot of don't s !! For starters it should have been tamped at a deep depth and then again at 15mm to 20 mm !! And also expansion joints cut in soon after!! But only for certain size areas !! It sounds like a hydrate screed which is also tempermental!! The depth is fine though !no thinner than 75mm !!
Its concrete??? hes already confirmed that.It has a curing agent sprayed on during finishing. This needs to be sanded off, along with any other contamination on the surface, before tile and then treat it like concrete.

Reaction score
Hi, just after some advice if anyone can help. I’ve just poured the floor on my extension at 110mm thick using Agilia (calcium based).

I am wanting to tile in about 5-6 weeks but after reading a lot on this it has become apparent there will still be moisture in the floor and I should wait for it to dry at 1mm per day.

Of course I don’t want to have a brand new kitchen installed and all my skirting and painted and still have no floor tiles, it seems silly.

What are the implications, if any, of laying porcelain tiles on the floor (600x900mm). They will be on a tilemaster mat and using Kerrakoll Eco A primer with Kerrakoll https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Is it the movement from the drying out process or the actual moisture that is the problem?

No underfloor heating before I get asked.

Thanks in advance

Reply to Tiling onto calcium based screed in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock