Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling onto calcium based screed in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
M
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
sorry to repost ages later in my thread, I did find out it is definitely a sand and cement floor which is why it’s so thick, had to be a minimum of 75mm. It’s been 7 weeks since pouring now and I’m ready to floor tile next week. I have a digital hygrometer on it as well as we speak, it’s been 10 hours, started at 71% and it’s been at 79% for perhaps the last 3 hours so can’t see it going up again now but will check in the morning. What’s everyone opinions as 75% is what I’ve read it should be? Would you risk it being a little higher? I have a dehumidifier so going to get that going 24/7 for the next week after I’ve taken the tester up.

Cheers

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
if the crack mat is a moisture stabiliser like ditra youll be fine togo ahead. For info the floor should be 80% to be considered dry but there is an error built into the test regime so has a tolerance of minus 5% hence 75%. for equilibrium you should have two consecurive readings the same 4 hours apart. so based on your tests its not in iequilibrium yet. that could be to do with the changability of the site conditions this time of year.

OP
M
Reaction score
:)
if the crack mat is a moisture stabiliser like ditra youll be fine togo ahead. For info the floor should be 80% to be considered dry but there is an error built into the test regime so has a tolerance of minus 5% hence 75%. for equilibrium you should have two consecurive readings the same 4 hours apart. so based on your tests its not in iequilibrium yet. that could be to do with the changability of the site conditions this time of year.
Thanks for the info it’s helpful to know, so after 4 hours it was 74% but this morning after 24 hours it was at 83% so my question is will a product like DITRA be able to cope with that if needed at all?

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
ditra would cope. I would not necessarily trust the hygrometer reading this time of year simply because the temperatures overnight tend to lead to interstitial condensation issues which throws the readings off.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, think I’ll go for DITRA or the Kerrakoll equivalent then, what about the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ can I still use Kerrakoll biogel or would I need a different https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to put the matting on top of? And where would you apply the primer? I think my tiler would know this but just want the advice for my own benefit and peace of mind

Reply to Tiling onto calcium based screed in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock