Currently reading:
Tiling on concrete with/without damp course?

Discuss Tiling on concrete with/without damp course? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Ryan Powder

Hello is there anyone out there that can me?!

I am fitting a new kitchen in my house. I removed the old floor tiles and underneath was a plastic damp proof membrane. I removed this and there is bare concrete. My house is victorian and i cant tell if there is a main damp course or not further under the floor, i suspect not.

I want to lay slate tiles. Can i tile directly onto the concrete with say a waterpoof adhesive, or do i need to put down another damp proof membrane? if i must put down some membrane, can i tile directly on this? im concerned nothing will stick to it and i will get movement. or alternatively should i be using a liquid damp proof and then tiling on to this?

ive been looking on the net for ages, and even been to four local tiling stores but i havent managed to find an answer, hopefully someone out there can help me!

R

Ryan Powder

Hi! the previous owners had put concrete garden pavng slabs down in the kitchen. these were cemented onto a blue damp proof membrane, however they were easy to lift up because the cement hadnt stuck tp the membrane. when i lifted the membrane i was left with bare concrete.

good idea about the damp gauge. are you thinking that if the reading is low, i can then just tile straight onto the concrete?

R

Ryan Powder

here are some pictures of the floor after i have pulled up the original slabs and the damp membrane. (hopefully i have up loaded the pics ok!)

looks pretty dry there. i did find a couple of old vinyl tiles stuck there too but have removed them as well.

i dont know what i can do to see if it has a damp course 100-150mm below the surface :dizzy2:

Attachments

• 09.09.07 164.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 09.09.07 165.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 36
R

Ryan Powder

hello all,
the dark bits in the pictures are left over bits of black stuff which i uncovered when i removed the handful of vinyl tiles i found. to look at and touch the floor seems dry. the concrete surface is very uneven and not smooth.

when i do this damp test, i will find i either have damp or i dont. the next question is what do i do next. if theres no damp can i just tile with a waterproof adhesive? and if there is damp, do you have any recommendations?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
They rarely laid concrete floors in Victorian houses unless they were extremely well to do. They mostly used timber suspended floors or lime mortar with quarry tiles and the like. The concrete would be much lighter in colour and less grey if it were Victorian. It looks to me like relatively modern concrete - probably a refurb by a previous owner. If it has been laid properly it will have a DPM under it which will show at the extreme edges usually. A Damp test at this stage is likely to be un representative of wether there is a DPM under it or not because the slabs on top will have trapped any moisture in the concrete previous to your lifting them - The Cling Film idea is a variation on the test I use all the time and is a great idea.

If you decide the concrete is too damp for you to tile straight onto you could speak to one of the Epoxy DPM manufacturers - there are lots of them - PM me if you want some specific contacts. These Membranes simply trowel/roller onto the surface of the concrete and trap the moisture in so it does not cause a problem with the tiles.

They are not used commonly as far as I can tell by tilers but are used routinely for soft flooring onto concrete.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
hello all,
the dark bits in the pictures are left over bits of black stuff which i uncovered when i removed the handful of vinyl tiles i found. to look at and touch the floor seems dry. the concrete surface is very uneven and not smooth.

when i do this damp test, i will find i either have damp or i dont. the next question is what do i do next. if theres no damp can i just tile with a waterproof adhesive? and if there is damp, do you have any recommendations?

Whether damp or not I would recomend running a floor sander over the concrete prior to putting anything down onto it because there will be residues from the various materials which have been left behind by previous coverings.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
yes i looked all round the edges and no sign of a DPM. I'll buy some cling film and do the test.

do tilers ever tile directly onto a blue/black plastic DPM? i am a bit worried if i did that then the adhesive will not stick to the membrane and the there will therefore be movement. or is this normal practise with special adhesives etc?

There are membranes for soft flooring but not for tiles as far as I know. There are Decoupling Mats such as Ditra and Durabase. I think that these would probably be very suitable in this instance. The problem with Tiles is that they need a rigid adhesive and of course as you say the level of movement likely to be experienced with a polythene membrane would cause the adhesive to break up and so fail. As I said you could use an Epoxy DPM but thinking about it you would probably be better served by using a Decoupling Mat. This will lift your finished floor height by a few mm but long term is probably a better option to maintain the stability of the tiles. I am sure the tilers on here will be able to confirm whether this is right or not. It might be worth you talking to Schluter Systems about the decoupling mats.

Reply to Tiling on concrete with/without damp course? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed most of our floor to accommodate tiling 800x800 porcelain over an uneven floor. The gap from defrac...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.