Discuss Tanking Advice in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a newbie member building an ensuite, the three shower walls are aquapanel on studs (300mm centres, 3 rows of noggins, 2.3m high). I've taped and filled the joints with mapei keraquick.

I had intended to tank this using the Mapei tanking kit. I used the kit 10 years ago in our main bathroom for a similar project and it was a great success.

However I've been reading about the kit on a few forums and people are saying that this kit now requires aquapanel to be skimmed with a thin layer of adhesive, before then priming and tanking. I'm reluctant to do this as I don't trust myself to skim it level! This wasn't required the first time I used this kit and it has been fine, but I appreciate the product may have changed in the last 10 years. So I'm in a bit of a quandry.

Could I mix the keraquick to a relatively sloppy consistency that could be rollered on, and then tank that? Would this affect the bond?

Or should I look at another tanking product. I've seen the ardex kit - can that go straight on to aquapanel? The downside with this kit is there is no rubber profile to go over the shower tray like with the mapei, but I guess I could just use silicone between the tray and ardex and then again between the tray and tiles? The ardex kit advises using a stiff mix of ardex and tape for the joints, but I've already done that now with keraquick. Should I go over these again with the ardex tape and stiff mix or just go over the whole lot with the loose ardex mix on a roller?

If I use the ardex kit, can I still use keraquick as my adhesive (already bought!) or should I buy ardex adhesive too?

Can keraquick be mixed with water only on stud mounted aquapanel or does it require latex?

Sorry for all the questions, I thought my plan was sorted but has been thrown by the change in practice with the mapei kit! Thanks :)

Reaction score
Just to feed back that I contacted Mapei technical and they have advised that Aquapanel does NOT require skimming with adhesive before tanking. The mapegum can go direct on to the aquapanel without using the primer. So, back to my original plan!

Reply to Tanking Advice in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, probably a pretty common question but I'm going around in circles looking online for a...
Replies
Views
Has anyone ever used CTI for sticking tiles to a wall. I'm new to tiling and want to install a...
Replies
Views
Hello, Hopefully someone can advise as I'm confused when it comes to choosing correct adhesive...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I bought some tiles for my bathroom wall, including a shower over bath area The shop...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley