Discuss Should I leave this behind the cement board? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, removing the old plasterboard to replace with hardiebacker 12mm . I'm no pro so i'm asking is this wood meant to be behind the plaster, should I remove it before putting up the cement board and install into studs, or just install over this wood? judging by things around the house I'm not sure it was built by professionals so i'm a bit weary of things I find in here.
Any help appreciated.

20180215_095832.jpg

Q

Qwerty

You won't know for certain why ply is underneath until all the plasterboard is off. Most likely reason was to add rigidity to a flimsy wall construction or use as a solid fixing for shower screen etc
You will need to check it is straight and level, undamaged, well fixed and not affected by moisture.

Reaction score
You won't know for certain why ply is underneath until all the plasterboard is off. Most likely reason was to add rigidity to a flimsy wall construction or use as a solid fixing for shower screen etc
You will need to check it is straight and level, undamaged, well fixed and not affected by moisture.
Thanks. I tell you its one thing after the other with this place. Hopefully it was just for shower support. Can I still install the hardiebacker to it, or only to studs, that's if there is any proper studs behind this thing lol

Q

Qwerty

It really depends how it's all put together. Find out what fixings there are and what stud centres you have and go from there

Reply to Should I leave this behind the cement board? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks