Search the forum,

Discuss Row of cut tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jonnycat

Howdy, I'm doing a tub/shower surround, doing the wall from the tub to the ceiling. The next bunch of rows I stick up will include the top row, which will all have to be cut. Since the ceiling is not parallel with the row of tile, each cut will be different.

So here's my question. When you have this situation, do you measure and make all of your cuts ahead of time, then stick them all up one after another? Or do you cut a tile, stick it up, cut another tile, stick that up, and so on?

I know either would probably work, I'm just trying to figure out which way I want to go.

Cheers,

Jon

J

jay

:welcome: and it up to you i normally cut each one and lay one at a time but if your confident to cut all first go for it :8:

G

garretridge

you could go that way or measure them then cut them all numbering them as you cut then just stick at the same time 1-2-3 etc so on!:thumbsup:

F

frogeye

Since the ceiling is not parallel with the row of tile, each cut will be different.

Jon

I think you have answered your own question there Jon. Each cut will be different. You may be lucky and if you offer up a cut tile it may fit in the adjacent gap. I have certainly done this to save resetting the cutter. But I think that these cuts define the job - your eye will focus here eventually and any gaps will stick out like a sore thumb.

I can't see that you are going to save a whole lot of time by pre cutting the tiles, so I would recommend slowly, slowly, one at a time.

Just my opinion of course :)

D

DHTiling

One at at time is my way...:thumbsup: unless i can be very sure they are all the same i di cut a few at once to save walking backwards and forwards to the cutter...not very often you get a flat ceiling though.

Oh! and welcome to tilersforums....i gather you not in the uk..where abouts are you..?

M

marke

yes as above normally one at a time although usually before i stick (presuming the cut is correct) i mark off the next tile in the row against the tile i just cut. does that make sense? so cut in hand i mark the next tile along from the edge of the cut tile !!

confused myself:smilewinkgrin: it just gives you a nice continuous line at the ceiling

J

Jonnycat

Nice, thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Is it okay (does it look okay) to stagger the tiles to keep the gap width the same at the ceiling, or should I try to angle the cuts so each tile ends where the next one begins?

One other thing, how do you mark the tile where you want to cut it?

Thanks again!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

:welcome:as above and I do what Marke does, mark off previous cut.:thumbsup:

M

marke

not totally sure what you mean but i always have the next tile start where the last one finished.. ceilings tend to have fairly gentle slopes in one way or another so just keep the cut nice and close but dont step the tiles that looks awful mate :thumbsup:

oh and Berol colour tip pens :thumbsup:

Reply to Row of cut tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Can I trouble some experts in here for some advice on laying pavers on a concrete pool surround...
Replies
Views
I'm installing 4x12 white ceramic subway tile in my shower and going from the shower base up to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Morning all. Dan asked me to post up a thread about our training centre which he can then use...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen