Currently reading:
Row of cut tiles

Discuss Row of cut tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jonnycat

Howdy, I'm doing a tub/shower surround, doing the wall from the tub to the ceiling. The next bunch of rows I stick up will include the top row, which will all have to be cut. Since the ceiling is not parallel with the row of tile, each cut will be different.

So here's my question. When you have this situation, do you measure and make all of your cuts ahead of time, then stick them all up one after another? Or do you cut a tile, stick it up, cut another tile, stick that up, and so on?

I know either would probably work, I'm just trying to figure out which way I want to go.

Cheers,

Jon

F

frogeye

Since the ceiling is not parallel with the row of tile, each cut will be different.

Jon

I think you have answered your own question there Jon. Each cut will be different. You may be lucky and if you offer up a cut tile it may fit in the adjacent gap. I have certainly done this to save resetting the cutter. But I think that these cuts define the job - your eye will focus here eventually and any gaps will stick out like a sore thumb.

I can't see that you are going to save a whole lot of time by pre cutting the tiles, so I would recommend slowly, slowly, one at a time.

Just my opinion of course :)

J

Jonnycat

Aye, it did have a dip in it, but I got it done last night. Took about two hours and 25 tiles to get 14 that still aren't perfect, but it's up by the ceiling so I can live with it.

I did get good at backbuttering, though.

I do need to come up with a more consistent method of marking the tiles; think I'll pick up a fine marker today so I do a better job cutting the tiles
where the side wall meets the back wall.

Thanks a TON for the information, it really helped me to get going on this. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Row of cut tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.