Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Retile floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

dhsanta65

Starting a bathroom floor on Sunday and will have to lift old tiles 1st not sure what substrate is below tiles but it is raised by about 25mm opposed to the hall floor so I assume it has been overlaid. The grout is cracked around a lot of the tiles that are in place at the moment don't Know if this is due to incorrect adhesive & grout used previously or overlay not screwed down enough ! ( customers father laid tiles 3 years ago )
Anyway when I lift tiles & ply overlay has been done can I just scrap as much of the old adhesive off as I can, put more screws in to secure & re-tile or would I prime it 1st. Grateful for any tips.
Cheers Ian

D

DHTiling

I think you need to remove the old floor first and take it from there, there could be nemerous reasons why this has happened....

let us know what you find when you remove the old tiles..:thumbsup:

D

dhsanta65

Re: Re-tile floor

Well I lifted the old tiles today and found the reason for grout cracking. Substrate was an utter shambles some of the tiles looked like they had silicon holding them in place the overlay consisted of hardboard laid over 6mm ply there was about a 1ft gap running half way up the middle which was patched in with laminate flooring and filled with what I think was wall tile adhesive to bring it level with rest of the floor . Round the bath was just chip board which was absolutely rotten from one end of the bath to the other due to a leaking pipe under the bath.
Advised customer they would have to get that sorted out before bath fell through the floor, going back tomorrow to overboard with ply for the mean time so they can walk around OK & they are going to try to claim their insurance for the rest.

Reply to Retile floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks