Search the forum,

Discuss Refurbishing en-suite with new shower cubical & retiling honeycomb plasterboard wall in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
I am planning to upgrade my en-suit room 1.5 m x 1.6 m. Ripping out old shower unit and the wall tiles surrounding the shower cubical.

I will be fitting new shower enclosure 900 x 800 mm with new tray, retiling with ceramic 250 x 400 mm the shower area as well as the three full walls and half of the fourth wall that has window.

Problem is I have honeycomb (Paramount) plasterboard wall on two walls and other walls are hard (brick) plastered wall.

Question: if I damage the honeycomb plasterboard during removing of tiles, what plastering material should I use to patch any damage?

Before retiling I will be preparing the wall with tanking material.

Question: what is the best tanking product and sealing the tray to the wall surround?

Other walls (currently not tiled) have matt paint and I will be tilling these walls.

Question: how best to prepare the wall before retiling?

What is the best powder adhesive and grout product I should use? The walls have about 3 to 4 mm deeps (above the buried CH pipe work) so I will be using the buttering process and probably tile levelling kit with 5 mm spacer.

I am retired and want to save money by doing this project myself. I have read a lot about tiling, the above questions have not been answered properly.

W

Waluigi

The paramount board is fairly easy to deal with. Completely remove the plasterboard. Hack away the carboard with the back edge of a handsaw. This sounds daft but really works. Then gripfill CLS onto the back edge of the plasterboard that you are left with and screw on new P/board the next day.

T

Time's Ran Out

As above to repair the paramount board but replace with Wedi or Jackoboard which will save on tanking ( just the joints)!
Sealing the tray - Dow Corning
Paint/emulsion must be fully removed and walls primed with an acrylic primer before tiling.
Look at the thread for adhesives and grout under their own section to see which is the most popular brands of powdered adhesive products.
For walls a 3mm joint is maximum you want to go with.
Good luck and enjoy!

Reaction score
The paramount board is fairly easy to deal with. Completely remove the plasterboard. Hack away the carboard with the back edge of a handsaw. This sounds daft but really works. Then gripfill CLS onto the back edge of the plasterboard that you are left with and screw on new P/board the next day.
Thanks for the sound advice. This is a brilliant idea if the existing plasterboard is totally damaged during the removal of the tiles. If the plasterboard is not that bad, what plaster (one -coat or bonding plaster) should I use, before tanking? If i have to renew the plasterboard, what are the best water resistance plasterboard?
Thanks

Reaction score
As above to repair the paramount board but replace with Wedi or Jackoboard which will save on tanking ( just the joints)!
Sealing the tray - Dow Corning
Paint/emulsion must be fully removed and walls primed with an acrylic primer before tiling.
Look at the thread for adhesives and grout under their own section to see which is the most popular brands of powdered adhesive products.
For walls, a 3mm joint is maximum you want to go with.
Good luck and enjoy!
Hi John - thanks for the advice on all the questions. Can I rub the paint/emulsion with a sander to make the wall rough with sufficient keying surface for priming and tilling or do I have to totally remove the paint to original plaster surface? I will have a look at the other section for the adhesive and grout.

T

Time's Ran Out

I’d remove all!
Once you start you’ll be surprised how easily it comes off.

Reaction score
One more question. I will be tanking the shower area then I will be left with half of the paramount plasterboard wall that has been painted and two walls (brick) plastered wall again painted with matt emulsion. Do I have to use a different type of primers on these three walls (plasterboard & plastered)? I will be scrapping the paint off.

W

Waluigi

You can use the same primer however primers do vary and sometimes they are diluted in different ratios with water/neat depending on the substrate. Also the amount of coats required.

Reaction score
You can use the same primer however primers do vary and sometimes they are diluted in different ratios with water/neat depending on the substrate. Also the amount of coats required.
Thanks for the confirmation. I am still waiting for a delivery of the shower tray and the unit. My current shower tray has been raised due to fitting kitchen type waste (big U connection), probably this is what was available in 1975. I am planning to install the tray on the wooden floorboard. What plywood and cement mix should i use? Marine plywood for 800 x 900 tray is very expensive (£40 to £50).

Reply to Refurbishing en-suite with new shower cubical & retiling honeycomb plasterboard wall in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen