Discuss Opinions on this appalling "professional" tiling job? in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Why not have a face to face with them to try and resolve it amicably. The courts dontbtake too kindly to cases where no one has made an effort to sort it out before going legal. If he has indeed admitted to doing a terrible job then he may be willing to sort a deal with you.

Reaction score
Why not have a face to face with them to try and resolve it amicably. The courts dontbtake too kindly to cases where no one has made an effort to sort it out before going legal. If he has indeed admitted to doing a terrible job then he may be willing to sort a deal with you.
@Ajax123 I've asked for the itemised materials breakdown as a first port of call. It absolutely not unreasonable for me to ask for that first before inviting him and his mrs back to the house to go through everything. I haven't said "I'll sue you if you don't just write your invoice off". It's pretty much at stage one still.

Reaction score
I don't understand why you want a materials breakdown .
@jcrtiling Because it's been discovered he has not used any tanking behind the shower, no decoupling membrane under the floor tiles, used the completely incorrect adhesive for the size and material of the tiles, so on and so forth. I want to have it clear and in writing everything he has used incorrectly and everything he has not used so I can list and go through it all when I meet him to discuss it.

Reaction score
It sounds like OP was looking for job done on the cheap , as they supplied materials got a friend to do it etc wonder if they even considered getting quotes
@Mark green It really was not cheap, so that is absolutely not the case! He wasn't just some random office worker mate who piped up offering tiling, we know him as a professional. We also only supplied the tiles and the suite because we had been looking for exactly what we wanted for weeks before the job started and had found them already. He supplied everything else.

As I've stated a few times (I realise this thread has got quite long and many probably can't be bothered to re-read all of it) we did have other quotes beforehand for comparison. We only used him because he was available for the week we needed before the baby arrived, and having been an acquaintance meant we put some trust in him (poor judgement made in haste due to imminent baby, in hindsight).

Reaction score
@Mark green It really was not cheap, so that is absolutely not the case! He wasn't just some random office worker mate who piped up offering tiling, we know him as a professional. We also only supplied the tiles and the suite because we had been looking for exactly what we wanted for weeks before the job started and had found them already. He supplied everything else.

As I've stated a few times (I realise this thread has got quite long and many probably can't be bothered to re-read all of it) we did have other quotes beforehand for comparison. We only used him because he was available for the week we needed before the baby arrived, and having been an acquaintance meant we put some trust in him (poor judgement made in haste due to imminent baby, in hindsight).
Hope it’s sorted out ok for u defo pay 0 £ and use it to rip out and redo his works

O

One Day

Hope it’s sorted out ok for u defo pay 0 £ and use it to rip out and redo his works

Dont! If you do this without going through the proper procedures (as discussed earlier), he could sue you for his invoice costs and you have not a leg to stand on.

W

Waluigi

I think it depends what someone would consider cheap.

Some people would think that £4K all in for a complete Bathroom is an extortionate amount of money. For me, I wouldn’t be able to go that low. It would be impossible.

Reaction score
I think it depends what someone would consider cheap.

Some people would think that £4K all in for a complete Bathroom is an extortionate amount of money. For me, I wouldn’t be able to go that low. It would be impossible.
Sure, and it would vary from region to region I would imagine. It wasn't quite up to that mark but not that far off. But either way, just pointing out it wasn't a "mates rates" favour job.

W

Waluigi

I’d be interested to see how it was broken down. I spend about £700 per bathroom on ‘bits’

That’s everything excluding the labour, the suite and the tiles. It’s a silly amount of money really. Sometimes it’s a good £1k

Reply to Opinions on this appalling "professional" tiling job? in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks