Search the forum,

Discuss My first bathroom floor onto timber, help pls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Matthew77

Hi all.

I'd like some advice on boarding out a bathroom floor pls.

I have a floor that has lino ontop of chipboard floor,which is onto the existing floorboards. The customer wants me to tile 300x300 tiles onto the floor, but as soon as i walked into the bathroom the floor felt all spongey. All the chipboard floor has rotted out so i planned on taking the chipboard up and putting 6mm hardibacker board down onto the floor boards & tiling onto that.

Now my question is would that be riged enough for the tiles (the room is only about 3.5 metres long and 1.5 metes wide) I've not looked at how thick the floor boards are or how far apart the joists are yet as didn't want to rip up the floor untill the plumber had done what he needed to do(he needs to get under the floor so will take up the chipboard for me) Is there somewhere where i can find the specified thicknesses required for for tiling ontop of timber or hardiebacker board?

This will be my first tiled floor onto timber so i'd like to make sure i do it right! How do you guys work out how thick the ply needs to be or how much cement based board is needed for each different job?

thanks

Matthew

M

Matthew77

anything less than 19mm use fast flex mate

Ok but what about backerboards, would 6mm be enough or is that relating to the backerboard too, as i thought backerboard was more rigid than ply?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to My first bathroom floor onto timber, help pls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi looking for advice laying these floor tiles. My bathroom is chipboard. I’m going to get...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hello all, After years of abuse, the bathroom needed an overhaul from top to bottom. Out...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I am tiling my bathroom after removing old suite. I have used a batten all the way...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen