Discuss Limestone floor - looks permanently grubby and now has linear cracking in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

Limestone

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help me. We had a limestone floor laid in our kitchen about 18 months ago. Almost immediately it started to look grubby, but wouldn't clean, I called the tiler straight away and he wasn't really interested, said he'd sealed 3 times as the shop had told him. He said he could clean it and reseal but would charge us. Shop said not their fault, down to fitter. We left it as another store said let it settle down.
The fitter was recommended by a respected tile company (Fired Earth) but we ended up buying stone from someone about 15 miles away, so shop and tiler have no relationship.
When I was getting quotes I was very concerned that the floor wouldn't crack, as it had happened in a rental property we were briefly in. Tiler said he would belt and braces it, so put marine ply down, and ditra matting. Today I have noticed to linear cracks about 2 feet long and 4 feet apart. Wjat should I do? Kitchen has been fitted oover top.
Any help on both issues would be greatfully received, I'm just so disappointed with it.

W

White Room

Re: Limestone floor - looks permanently grubby and now has linear crac

Get the tiler back to have a look.....

cam_low

TF
Reaction score

what is the substrate below the ply ? As above get the tiler back.

C

Concrete guy

Questions:-

1. What is the name of limestone?

2. What is the thickness of the tile?

2. What is the size of each tile?

K

Katrina2012

Now im really worried because im thinking of having Limestone on my floors and in bathroom...

How can one avoid the grubby looking limestone problem?
What thinkness of stone tile is recommended?
What base is recommended?

Reply to Limestone floor - looks permanently grubby and now has linear cracking in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks