Discuss Kitchen Floor Tiling / Preparation in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

schakal

I have a project of tiling my kitchen floor in my hands and i want to do it right at once rather than going back to it in years to come.

The sub base is made up of sand with DPM on top then 50mm cellotex and around 80-100mm "screed"/concrete
Now i am not sure i am using the right word for this. Basically its a premix mix that came on a cement truck and was poured in using wheel barrows by the contractor the same time he was laying my garage slab . Sub base was laid in October 2016 ,i am guessing it should be fairly dry by now.
The surface of the sub base was fairly powdery after it was dried and recently reading up about this on this forum it sounds like LAITANCE.
How do i remove this ?
After removing do i have to prime the surface before tiling ?
if so ,what primer do i use ?
Do i need to use a self leveller even if the surface of the concrete/screed is level ?

Also i have decided on 20cm x 20cm floor tiles.
I want to use the smallest grout gap possible . On a little dry lay ,the tiles look fairly straight.
What is the minimum gap can i get away with ?

thanks for reading

S

schakal

here is a comparison of sections of the concrete.
photo 1 , left covered with dpm
photo 2 , left uncovered and walked on where most of the powdery stuff has eroded leaving hard concrete.

IMG_1499.JPG IMG_1500.JPG

Reply to Kitchen Floor Tiling / Preparation in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks