Search the forum,

Discuss Is It A Good Time To Start Doing Exterior Tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Its one of them, ive done loads of rendering in the rain ect , just put a big tarpolin over the scaffold and roof, more or less same risks as tiling or flagging outside , up to you if yiu want to risk it, its easy enough to cover , but yiu would have to cost it in with the price

A

antded

Just finished the Victorian path, as per previous post. Tiled in 3 days, but took nearly a fortnight with prep, rained off days etc. Temperatures were very mild for time of year with night temps no lower than 5degC. In my humble opinion, wait for the Spring...... oh and make sure you choose a suitable exterior levelling compound ha ha.
I would use Tilemaster Ultimate, excellent product

D

Dougs Third Go

my main concern would be frost, both in the air and rising up from the ground, don't know any manufacturers that'll guarantee their adhesive below +5deg C

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
This is something that personally p####s me off! I have only done 1 job outside this year, as soon as the weather hits minus and it is raining non stop outside work starts. I have had 8 calls within 2 weeks to tile or repair stairs. It's a no from me haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Big problem here will be the frost (-4 this morning). If the adhesive and grout is exposed to frost before it has had time to fully set they may start to crumble so it will need protecting. Also check out the SLC you are going to use as not all are suitable for outside use. Many concrete slabs outdoors do not have a DPM under them which will cause the damp to rise through the slab and can "blow" the SLC off the surface which in turn will cause the tiles to come loose.

Ste-G

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Why is it always outside work in winter and conservatories on the hottest f#*!ing day in summer? Rhetorical question by the way. Chivers wait till the weather warms up.

C

ChiversTiling

I've said to the customer I'd do it in the summer, but they got there heart set on doing before Christmas but I said you can try any tiler but they will say what I'm saying, they won't Touch it till summer

Reply to Is It A Good Time To Start Doing Exterior Tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen