Discuss Required sub-base for laying porcelain tiles in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I live in Berkshire, UK, where the soil is clay. My current patio is block paved (laid about 20 years ago) but I am looking to have a porcelain tiled patio. My house is on clay soil and I have two large oak trees in my neighbouring garden. I find that during the summer, a gap opens up between the paving blocks and also some of the paving blocks sink due to effectively ground movement beneath the paving blocks caused by clay shrinkage.

Can anyone advise how the sub-base should be best constructed so that I get minimal movement once the porcelain tiles are laid. I am concerned that if the sub-base is not properly constructed, the porcelain tiles will move/crack over time. The overall size of the patio will be 70 sq metres.

I did speak to one structural engineer recently who suggested the following sub-base:
  1. remove existing paving blocks/bricks and excovate soil to required depth
  2. lay sand
  3. lay concrete slab, minimum 75mm deep
  4. lay DITRA Mat above concrete slab
  5. lay poreclain tiles with flexible adhesive
Does what this structural egineer suggest an over-kill? Is there an alternative option?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hello,

I am overseeing a construction work of a wooden structure.
We have decided to use a ceramic tile on a wall with boards 40cm apart(spacing) on the wall and 3cm for the floor.
Is that spacing ideal for fixing ceramic tiles to a wooden structure?

Also what would be the best approach?
Again what adhesive would work best?

Thank you!

Reply to Required sub-base for laying porcelain tiles in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks