Search the forum,

Discuss How do I Transfer a vertical setting out line ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

AllurePTS

If I can work out how to put a photo on my post, I'll put one on tonight mate .....what I need to achieve is simple though - imagine you get your spirit level and mark a straight vertical line on a wall - how do you transfer that line in exactly the same opposing position on the wall behind you ? ...normally we don't need to, we just take the horizontal round .....but In this particular case, I do need to !

B

brian c

Take the line onto the floor and then up the wall behind you,use pencil and level.Also use the tiles to dry run it and see how it looks....i hope im getting what your finding difficult...am i?:huh2:

B

Branty

If I can work out how to put a photo on my post, I'll put one on tonight mate .....what I need to achieve is simple though - imagine you get your spirit level and mark a straight vertical line on a wall - how do you transfer that line in exactly the same opposing position on the wall behind you ? ...normally we don't need to, we just take the horizontal round .....but In this particular case, I do need to !
Why does it have to match if no floor tiles are going in?
Surely you would centre up both walls. Unless I'm missing something.

A

AllurePTS

:mad2: yes mate ....as per my original question - there are two stepped back shelfs that meet the front face of a wall hung toilet in between ....the plumber has fitted the toilet frame off square, the whole room is off square and couldn't be corrected due to other issues .....but it must line through properly or it would look a riot !! .....the vertical line MUST match on the opposing walls ....anything else just doesnt work ....I need to know how I ensure the laser is SQUARE to the line I want to transfer, so It's accurate when I transfer it .....but HOW, can I do that when there's NOTHING to square it from !!! :mad2: .......I have already done it but it was by a major long process ....I'm sure there must have been an easier technique....that's what I'd like to find out for future reference ! ....I'll post a photo later

D

Droopy

I honestly can't make sense of what you mean by this, mate.

If the walls are opposite each other, and the room is totally out of square, all you can do is centre both walls.

A

AllurePTS

Ok ...here goes ....hopefully the picture will work ! lol

The problem here is everything is well out of square and little can be done to correct it due to the room being so narrow in the first place, to make matters worse the plumber has fitted the toilet off square the opposite way from the wall ! (to be fair it would be hard for him to get right too !) ....so The only thing I can really do here is to get a square accross the room, so that I know the vertical lines on Wall A and B will oppose each other perfectly ......then I can correct the off square (on the toilet face steps C&D) as well as I can from both sides, to get them as square and equal as possible, so that it all lines through properly !

If I was to simply to take the tiles round the back wall (E) or the face of the toilet on the horizontal line ....then the vertical lines (of A&B) would differ by about 30mm ...resulting in the shelf tiles (C&D) being wedge shaped and looking like a total riot !!

I got it done eventually (as you can see) ....but it took a major amount of faffing around, as I've never come across this problem before ......so, I was just wondering if anyone knows a good technique to be able to transfer a vertical line to an opposing wall, when you have nothing to square off from ?

Actuallly ...looking at that picture it looks like it's in a ship at high sea or something ! lol ....that's just down to me taking the picture at quite a bad angle ! lol ....the room is just so small , everything is awkward !

allurepts-albums-things-discussion-picture1418-cloakroom-e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Branty

So you wanted the centre tile on wall E, to match up with the front ledge D, and front of the toilet wall C.
I can't see why centering off each wall wouldn't give you what you required.
Either way the job looks a gooden. :thumbsup:

A

atec

Im not sure i understand, but on looking at the photo i would have started on the back wall 1st then the two side walls, centering each wall, and measured each cut in the corners individualy. But its easy to say looking at a photo.

A

AllurePTS

No guys, it wouldn't work ....what you can't see in the picture is that Wall A also has a window, a fan, a switch, a sink and another box in .....So Wall A must dictate the layout because it's very busy, Then Wall B must match with the vertical ....because, if you just centred out both walls ....it would never work in at the back ...it has to be equal and square to look right !

B

Branty

Well what you have here Allure is what makes a tiler a tiler. You've done a good job looking at the pics. Unless one of us was in the room with you, I don't thnk we could advise any better than you've done.

Reply to How do I Transfer a vertical setting out line ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen