Discuss Wetroom tray setting out in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Yup, too late now, I’ve ordered them 😬 Cheers for the tips on grout. I’ve probably got about 2 years to decide on that based on fitting 500+ tiles !!

Reaction score
progress 😅
0C8E0089-01BC-48CB-AF61-BA23B37BF83F.jpeg

Reaction score
How you getting on with this now @al strachan ? Must be time to give us an update :D

Hi Tony, busy with the day job (some might say I should just stick to it!) but have managed to squeeze a couple half days in :)

I’m using keraquick that I bought for the bigger tiles, so I’m mixing smallish batches using 1ltr water per batch.From no hurry diy perspective, it gives just enough time to lay a decent patch and sort out cuts between batches.

I’m now at a point where I have no other choice but to tackle the tray. No hiding anymore 😅

wasn’t having any success with the wet saw, so my new porcelain slitting blade arrived today. Seems to be the only way to get an accurate cut for the envelope, helped along with a straight edge.

setting out has worked in fine, with the only compromise being the first fall into the tray being a mix of finished edge and cut edge. Not sure how this will look once grouted, maybe I’m over thinking again? Anyways, it was the only way I could work out the tray without any ridiculous cuts.

some pics below of work to date, and also my setting out and marking of the outside of the tray.

(apologies on behalf of my phone for the photo orientation)

Attachments

• C439104B-DA83-438E-8B78-E9138F2C8991.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 35
  • EDF8827A-C1DB-49A7-B027-A39B2EB428E0.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 41C8B92F-5BB1-45F8-BF66-C355269A749C.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 38
  • BCE596D4-F9F5-4958-9F77-C006114AB57F.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 886A7C79-012A-4BB9-8727-9752F3038F02.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 18

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
it's looking good Al, maybe just overthinking it but just shows you care about the finish. It will look good when its finished if the remainder is as good as what you have done so far :):thumbsup:

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I agree @Tony_C, it’s looking a quality job. 👍

Maybe a future JOTM 😉

Reaction score
it's looking good Al, maybe just overthinking it but just shows you care about the finish. It will look good when its finished if the remainder is as good as what you have done so far :):thumbsup:
I agree @Tony_C, it’s looking a quality job. 👍

Maybe a future JOTM 😉

Geez guys, you are making my head swell!! I wouldnt say its near the standard that i see in the JOTM entries, those are quality jobs from pro's at the top of their game, but you've certainly given me encouragement :)

I was expecting - "wtf you doing with this that and the next bit!". Just having positive feedback alone will do me just fine :)

Al

Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve had some errands to run, and plenty cups of tea, but I’ve spent almost 2 days on cuts here. No adhesive as yet. It’s so easy to get into a bind with these hexagons, so I ive made sure everything fits first, especially each side of the drain then meeting at the top again.

I have a question though. Is it ok just to use normal adhesive inside the linear drain cover?. Material is brushed stainless steel.

CA4F5E8D-6772-42F2-ABA1-D5A08495A70D.jpeg

O

Old Mod

Looking really good Al 👍
In turning one of your images above I deleted an extra image by mistake.
If you’d like to pm me with the missing image, I’ll re insert it, sorry. 🙈

Reaction score
Drum roll please.......

Not grouted yet, only just lifted the spacers and cleaned up the tray tonight.

As far as setting out goes, and the subject matter, in a stoke of pure luck (correct I did not consider this when choosing!) we are perfectly symmetrical.

it’s not perfect. A few little bits here and there I could have done better, but pretty chuffed overall 😁

ta da.....
D202FD2A-A088-48DF-A6DA-3B779645DC1D.jpeg
E3842715-F00C-4106-8B12-FA0CAE8729B2.jpeg
4B0F2E49-4F6B-44F4-8797-CB406DC7A9DC.jpeg

Last edited:

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That’s looks really nice!

You should be really proud of that, what colour grout you going for?
I think it looks good as it is so maybe a light/dark grey?

Reaction score
That’s looks really nice!

You should be really proud of that, what colour grout you going for?
I think it looks good as it is so maybe a light/dark grey?

walls are mid grey/brown colour and we’ve chosen Manhattan grey which should go well on both floors and walls.

thanks for the comment, yes I tend to be over critical of my work regardless of what I do, so for now I only see the bits I could have done better, but yes, I’m pretty chuffed!

Tidy job, well done

Thank you!

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Great work Al, i would have never guessed this was DIY in a million years :thumbsup: You have done yourself proud.

Just the walls to go now :D

Reply to Wetroom tray setting out in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks