Discuss Setting out advice please! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

LEH

TF
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I finally have some walls and levels to work off for setting out.

Here's the wall I am finding a bit tricky:

IMG_3332.JPG

Sorry for the squiffy angle, it's a small room. Here's a plan with dimensions:

IMG_3338.JPG

Tiles are 500 x 200, laid stacked, long side horizontal. 2 mm grout joints.

I'm fairly satisfied I want to center my grout joint in the middle of this wall horizontally, so 2 tiles per row, cut to each side to approx. 480 mm.

Vertical position I'm less sure about. If I put the center of the tile on the center line, I get nice cuts top, to the bath lip and to the floor. However, to the right of the strip down to the floor will be a tiled bath panel, and this would end up with a very thin strip at the top. Second, the holes for the shower pipes would have to be drilled right at the edge of a tile.

Putting the grout joint on the center line instead puts the pipe holes within a tile. Cuts are about 40mm top and the same to the bath lip, and a good size cut to the floor of about 185 mm.

The wall to the right of this is a nice square, 1.7m tall (from the bath lip) and 1.77m wide. Leading round to the wall containing the window:

IMG_3336.JPG

'Plan':
IMG_3337.JPG

Here the second vertical placing, with 40 mm from ceiling, seems to give good cuts round the window and down to the bath and top. The first option is going to give a thin sliver under the window reveal.

So I think the second option sounds best? If the 40mm cuts are acceptable? And if there's not something in between I'm missing?

B

Bill

what is wrong with a full tile off the bath...... according to your measurements, it would leave decent cuts everywhere.

F

Flintstone

These sort of posts are always confusing with a pike of numbers. Full tile off the bath is my go to layout if it works. Centralised window also is a must for your window are the boards on stud anywhere or all on solid wall ?

LEH

TF
Reaction score
Ok - I had got it into my head that full tile off a bath wasn’t good in case it isn’t straight or level. But I put it in level sitting on a level batten so should be ok.

Fixings- are to manufacturer’s instructions! 8 per board on the studs, which are at 300mm centers. Window wall they’re dabbed on as it was a mess and then five fixings per board as per the Jackoboard instructions. Above the window it’s a wooden lintel though.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Some time the edges of a bath curve up or down at the ends.
If they curve up it's no problem as you can trim a little bit off the 2 tiles where needed. If they curve down to the point that it will leave too much of a gap be prepared to trim a little bit off most of the tiles apart from the 2 ends. No major hassle and definitely best set out if it works well elsewhere as it looks good and always works well when tiling a bath panel. You look like you have a fair bit of depth re window frame to play with so always consider building up the sill or header if it helps with set out.

LEH

TF
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah going off the bath with a whole tile looks pretty good everywhere except under the sill - it’s 820 from bath to fill so I’d be left with about 10mm under the cill.

But as you suggest, I could build up the cill with another 20mm board to give a cut of say 35ish?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
perfect then. My next go to set out if full tile off bath don't work is full tile into cill so to have both work is my set out nirvana :D

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
And Kudos for fixing them stacked!!

LEH

TF
Reaction score
Cool. I think I picked the stacked tip off someone in the forum too... :)

Final question- what size gap do you leave between tile and bath rim- just another spacer or more?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
2mm is about right

Reply to Setting out advice please! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks