Discuss Wetroom tray setting out in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

Images would definitely help, especially the complete tray, so we can see how it relates to the rest of the room.

Reaction score
Understood Tony, once we get the tiles I’ll post up something more useable.

So took the tiles back to Homebase. I bought these 5 months ago, could find the till receipt, and only had the click/collect email and a bank statement on my phone.

Wasn’t looking good until I said my tiler (aka tilersforum.com 😅) refused to lay them on the grounds of quality, especially on a wetroom.

Didn’t get a refund, but 300 quid gift card which won’t take long to spend on other things.

Fair play to Homebase👍

The sample I ordered for the porcelain equivalent hasn’t arrived yet, so i might just forget about that supplier. I’ve found some others on Victoria plumbing though. Very similar, same size, porcelain, but they are 6mm. Apart from having to use a fairly thick bed around the drain, is 6mm porcelain suitable for a wetroom floor?

Reaction score
Got 1 sample back. I've actually found the same or similar tile from about 3 different sources, also a 450x450 one, which will be perfect for setting out on a 450mm tray.

First sample arrived, seems a better finish. a slightly glossier glaze and definately not so easy to mark. this is the 6mm porcelain, and definately from a different factory. Material is a dark red rather than the pale cream of the BCT tiles.

question though, is there any obvious difference (to a layman) between a porcelain and ceramic tile?

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Ceramic are more porous which makes them softer, try dripping some water on the back of it and see if it soaks up quick into the tile or sits more on top. You also get different grades of ceramics for what they are fit for, are there any grade numbers listed on the site you got the sample from? Would the 450x450 version also be a thicker tile? 6mm seems quite thin.

Reaction score
will give that a try Tony thanks. i still have 1 bct tile to compare against.

I'm not sure the thickness of the 450 tile, but have ordered a sample, so will soon see. Still waiting for the original sample i ordered, but thats claimed to be porcelain and 9mm thick. Hopefully one of them will tick all boxes!

Reaction score
Hi, it’s me again. Probably taken this too far, but here’s where I’m at. Still one more sample to arrive, but there seems to be a theme!

Dantosu 33cm (I think they have actually sent the larger format - bigger pattern -6mm
Dantosu- 45cm - in the Post not below
Tiles direct - 33cm 6mm
Tiles direct - 49cm (same material as bct, different pattern) 9mm
Victorian plumbing -33cm - 6mm

All much of a muchness on the topside. Slight Variations in shade and pattern, with the 3 thinner ones all having a slightly glossier glaze

BCT and the tiles direct large format (both cream / 9mm thick) pretty much absorbed the water (2.5ml) on impact.

The 3 darker tiles, no absorption to note after 30mins.

all The non absorbent ones are all
478B2E94-75FF-4D04-B063-CD1D762E82F0.jpeg
5703B2E6-D801-4968-B8FC-74837FC1CD33.jpeg
6mm though. All advertised as floor/wall tiles?

O

Old Mod

I never realised they’d started making 6mm smaller than 1200 x 600, that’s interesting.
6mm porcelain is absolutely fine for a shower floor.
You will have to watch out for the build up required around the gulley, if the gulley height is not adjustable you may find it difficult to achieve the correct fall.
But up to now I’ve not found a gulley that won’t accept a 6mm piece, and 95% of my work is with 6mm tiles, only a little larger than yours.
If you have to make L shaped cuts around the gulley you must ensure that the internal corners of the tile are supported 100% with adhesive or they’re likely to crack.
As you bed the tile you want adhesive to push its way up through the joints so you can be sure of full coverage beneath the corner cuts.

Reaction score
thanks 3 fall. fortunately with the SCL i had to feather it into the tray slightly (3mm or so), so raising a 6mm tile to meet the gulley should bring the tray back to its original fall.

thanks for the tips on bedding in the cuts :)
If i go for the 450mm tiles i should be able to get a grout line centre on the tray and avoid any L shape cuts, or thin cuts around the tray (i think!)

Reaction score
For info, incase it makes any difference, all advertised as 6mm measure between 6.3 and 7.5mm thick on the thinnest part of the tile away from the ribs.

Reaction score
believe it or not, i still havent ordered tiles. at the moment we are looking at smaller hezagon tiles.

I'm prepared for this being quite time consuming for a rank amateur which isnt such an issue, just wondering if theres any specific reasons why i shouldnt use these for a wetroom floor that just shy of 9m2 :)

1571494050445.png

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi Al :)

No point rushing it if there isn't any need to!

I wouldn't see any issue in using those. My only suggestion would be with them being a matt white perhaps test grouting on an offcut that the grout doesn't stain especially if you are using a darker grout. A temporary sealer might be best with it being your first time grouting (just a guess) and the finish of the tiles might stain. I've been caught out on matt finish tiles before...

Reaction score
thanks Tony, good shout tht one. I'm no stranger to tiling, and have previously done some small metro's in our downstairs loo in matt white with black grout. didnt stain the tiles, just everything else!!

Was going to use a mid-light grey grout and will definately get some to test. Any particular grout recommendations for a wetroom floor, and i assume as far as staining goes, they are all much of a muchness?

O

Old Mod

Make life easier on yourself Al, use a larger format 😊
Just to play devils advocate for a change.

13B8CACD-37D5-4D1B-97CA-BD41D719FEFB.jpeg

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Trust Marc to suggest larger tiles 🤣🤣.

However you will be looking to set around 540 tiles on the floor alone if it's around 9sqm.

As for grout you could go down the epoxy route depending how brave you are and staining shouldn't be an issue. You could use regular grout and seal it at regular intervals also. Personally I prefer to use tilemaster grouts. They have a range of greys available

Reply to Wetroom tray setting out in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks