Discuss Setting out hand holding in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

E

earlm

I’m going to start my bathroom refit this weekend and just want to check my plan is sensible.

I’m using 300x500mm ceramic tiles, floor to ceiling, no border. The wall tiles are mainly pale, the floor tiles are dark and I was planning on creating a 100mm dark tile upstand all around.

The room is 2.1m square, with an 0.8m cut out in one corner for the airing cupboard, to create an L shape. Bath down the left, then tradition pedestal sink and toilet under the window. I need to box in the waste pipe under the window.

Working out the horizontal plane is fairly straight forward, but the vertical plane is worrying me a bit. I think I’ve got a good plan, but wanted to double check….

I’ve measured the height of the bath, the top and bottom of the window, the top of the door frame and the ceiling.

Then worked out the size of the tiles above or below each of the features above, and the tile closest to the ceiling, dependant on the size of the first tile.

Allowing for 5mm between the floor tile and the lowest wall tile, if I make the upstand 110mm, I can start with a full size tile, which then meets the bottom of the window in exactly the right place, it means that the tiles onto the bath need to be cut to 175mm based on the existing bath height, 200mm above the window, 185mm above the door frame and the top tile beneath the ceiling would need to be 80mm.

All those sizes seem quite sensible?

Does it sound like I’m on the correct path or is there anything else that I need to consider?

Thanks.

O

Old Mod

Sounds sensible, put that way.
I’d maybe consider a 100mm cornice instead of an 80mm cut, that bit is not so good.
If you have a very good colourmatch with grout and wall tile the top cut will be far less visible.

Reply to Setting out hand holding in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks