Discuss Wetroom tray setting out in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I thought they would be worse than they were to be honest.

666A174A-4DC7-4A32-9EBA-64C745872FC0.jpeg

Reaction score
ive invested far too much time and money into my wetroom (and research) to finish it off with something I’m going to be using every day, and search around for cracks and defects every time I use it, to get any kind of enjoyment out of them.

It’s been weeks since I bought from Homebase, but going to make every effort to return them.

It seems you guys fit them for customers, so I guess it’s not all doom and gloom, but I can gaurentee you, I bet not one of you would knowingly buy these to fit to your own wet room, so really not much point in quizzing you fine fellows for any should I/shouldn’t I questions.

That’s the setting out question answered also 😂

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would say same tiles wrongly advertised as porcelain. :(

S

Spare Tool

As above, BCT ceramics not a great idea in a wetroom they are pretty crap really, they didn't go bust without a reason, just laid these the other week and are porcelain, 250 square which might help your set out....see what the misses thinks Al...I have bigger images of floor if it helps?

IMG_20190902_164010.jpg

Reaction score
As above, BCT ceramics not a great idea in a wetroom they are pretty crap really, they didn't go bust without a reason, just laid these the other week and are porcelain, 250 square which might help your set out....see what the misses thinks Al...I have bigger images of floor if it helps?

I like them yes, but I think a bit to dark/contrasty for her. A photo of a floor would be a big help, and would there be any lighter ones in the range do you think?

To be fair I’ve just been looking at the two packs I have open, and laying 16 tiles in a square, there no real measurable size differences, all laid tight together and all fit snug. Glazing looks good, and placing face to face I can’t see too much bowing or irregularity (a tiny bit, but nothing that would give any real lippage. They do absorb water readily though, and fading/cracking/staining would always be a worry. The seed is sown!

S

Spare Tool

Cant say I've never done it, but ceramics on any floor aren't a good idea imo..
Not sure on lighter shades, these came with a white border, not to everyone's tastes but..." It's not my house" 😆
I'll dig a bigger pic out..there must be something similarish out there she likes..

IMG_20190909_163359.jpg

Reaction score
Cant say I've never done it, but ceramics on any floor aren't a good idea imo..
Not sure on lighter shades, these came with a white border, not to everyone's tastes but..." It's not my house" 😆
I'll dig a bigger pic out..there must be something similarish out there she likes..

I like that 👍 let’s see what swmbo says. I’ve also found these:

Great price also, and at 450mm square should be perfect for a 900mm tray? Do fake grout lines work ok on a wetroom floor? and is there anything an experienced eye would see as a concern?

S

Spare Tool

Think the concern would be the depth of the fake groutlines are only 1-2mm deep, and constantly showering water on them could more than likely wash it out...not something I've fitted in a shower before so couldn't give a definitive answer..

Reaction score
Maybe not, I believe that there is a Turkish factory that are now making these - in porcelain. They are quoted as satin rather than matt (so a slight sheen to them).

Possibly not the best quality - but probably better than the originals? Get a sample to check that the good lady will be happy with the finish.

Reaction score
Maybe not, I believe that there is a Turkish factory that are now making these - in porcelain. They are quoted as satin rather than matt (so a slight sheen to them).

Possibly not the best quality - but probably better than the originals? Get a sample to check that the good lady will be happy with the finish.

Well i gave them a phone, and i'm assured that this is definately porcelain and from completely different manufacturer. sample ordered!!

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Tony, will do.

Also, since there’s every chance I’ll end up with 330mil tiles, I guess by original question is still potentially valid 😁

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
It's quite tough to decide without seeing it fully. Try laying both situations out over the complete tray and surrounding tiles to the tray and marking what the cuts would be on the tiles and stand back and look at it. Perhaps post the pics which may make it easier for us to give an opinion on also

Reply to Wetroom tray setting out in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks