Discuss How to waterproof joint setting compound on a shower wall in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I need to tile a new corner shower stall. I put Hardi waterproof backer board on the wall and used thinset to seal all my seams and screws, also used thinset for my transition seam between the drywall and backer board. I used a setting joint compound (not a pre mix drywall compound) to feather my seam from my drywall onto my backer board, also primed and painted it. I was going to put Redguard water sealer over my thinset joints and the backer board but I just found out you can't use Redguard over setting joint compound, primer, or paint. Can I just use Redguard on the backer board up to the painted compound, then find somekind of water sealer to put over the painted surface? There is backer board behind the compound, primer, and paint, I just needed to feather the compound onto the backer board over my transition to keep the wall level, it runs about 12 inches onto my backer board. In the pictures you'll see that the transition seam starts at the end of my shower base. Any ideas would be very useful, thanks...

shower 5.jpg
painted shower wall 2.jpg

Reply to How to waterproof joint setting compound on a shower wall in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks