Search the forum,

Discuss How do I Transfer a vertical setting out line ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

AllurePTS

Could one of the Guru's on here please tell me the quickest and easiest way to transfer a vertical setting out line accurately to an opposing wall :huh2: ...... I've just done a room where the back wall had a double shelf step down to the face of a wall hung toilet ....so it was critical that the vertical lines on opposing walls were exactly opposing - so that all the back wall and stepped shelves lined through correctly ! .....matters were made worse by the fact that the room was way off square and plum .....I couldn't correct the off square issue, due to a door !!!!! ........I did get there eventually, but it took some monumental amount of faffing about !!! ....never come across this problem before, but I'm sure there must be a handy technique for getting it right ??? ....just looked through all my tiling books and found nothing about it :mad2:

Incidentally ....I set out with a dewalt laser

Help please guys :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Branty

I can't think of a better, quicker way than with a laser. Unless I'm not understanding what you are saying (did I sound Indian there?).

A

AllurePTS

Yes mate ...the room is off square, so how do you ensure you position the laser exactly square to the line you want to transfer ....when there's nothing to square it off of ??? ....see what I mean ?

Cheers for the reply tho :)

A

AllurePTS

No mate...it has to match it's opposite wall precisely, because what runs in between them (stepped box in for wall hung toilet) is also fully tiled and has to line through properly ....with the room being off square ...the opposing wall is longer ....so if I just take it right round the two corners of the back wall in between ....it wouldn't work out ......I have a way of doing it, but it's a real pain and still hard to be 100% accurate .....I just wondered if anyone knows an easy way of being able to mark this up when I'm setting out ?

S

sstilingservice

sounds to me like you just need a rotary lazer you just set it up nice and level and let it spin and it will give you a line all round the room hope this helps you can buy cheapy ones at screwfix if you are not going to be useing it much:yes:

S

sweaty sock

if you want to level across a room around awkward shapes and round door i would use the old method of clear plastic hose and water - i think tradetiler sells the kits - worked for the egyptians and they were not bad at tiling:book:the water in the hose finds its own level across the room:grin:isnt gravity great:yes:

S

sweaty sock

oops just read full post- ignore above-just sat down must have squashed my brain

A

AllurePTS

sounds to me like you just need a rotary lazer you just set it up nice and level and let it spin and it will give you a line all round the room hope this helps you can buy cheapy ones at screwfix if you are not going to be useing it much:yes:

Sorry mate but you are wrong there ....you can use a rotary laser in the vertical position, to put the line over the ceiling and down the other wall ....BUT my De-Walt DW087k will do that anyway ....don't need a rotary ....problem is with EITHER of them .....if your laser line is not 100% SQUARE to the line you want to copy from ....your new line on the opposing wall will NOT be in the same position !!!!!! ....so HOW do I ensure my laser line is square ???? ....the room is cone shaped (exageration, but you get the idea) ....so, I've nothing to get a square from :mad2:

Another word of warning - be very careful with cheap lasers from screwfix or anywhere .....they are not truly "self levelling" as they would have you believe ....you will also have no idea if they are operating out of their tolerance range (which is not much in the first place) they are also not as accurate as decent quality ones (De-Walt and Stabila) ....so if you keep measuring ....you keep getting an accumulation on the error ....be very aware of this ......and don't find out the hard way ....I did lol!

Sweaty ....the horizontal line is no issue ...we do that everyday anyway ! .....normally we chose the tile position on each wall to suit each individual situation BUT - on this occassion, I cannot do that ....they must oppose each other perfectly !

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Branty

No mate...it has to match it's opposite wall precisely, because what runs in between them (stepped box in for wall hung toilet) is also fully tiled and has to line through properly ....with the room being off square ...the opposing wall is longer ....so if I just take it right round the two corners of the back wall in between ....it wouldn't work out ......I have a way of doing it, but it's a real pain and still hard to be 100% accurate .....I just wondered if anyone knows an easy way of being able to mark this up when I'm setting out ?
Any chance of a little sketch? my thick head can't picture it, sorry. :whatchutalkingabout

A

AllurePTS

If I can work out how to put a photo on my post, I'll put one on tonight mate .....what I need to achieve is simple though - imagine you get your spirit level and mark a straight vertical line on a wall - how do you transfer that line in exactly the same opposing position on the wall behind you ? ...normally we don't need to, we just take the horizontal round .....but In this particular case, I do need to !

B

brian c

Take the line onto the floor and then up the wall behind you,use pencil and level.Also use the tiles to dry run it and see how it looks....i hope im getting what your finding difficult...am i?:huh2:

B

Branty

If I can work out how to put a photo on my post, I'll put one on tonight mate .....what I need to achieve is simple though - imagine you get your spirit level and mark a straight vertical line on a wall - how do you transfer that line in exactly the same opposing position on the wall behind you ? ...normally we don't need to, we just take the horizontal round .....but In this particular case, I do need to !
Why does it have to match if no floor tiles are going in?
Surely you would centre up both walls. Unless I'm missing something.

A

AllurePTS

:mad2: yes mate ....as per my original question - there are two stepped back shelfs that meet the front face of a wall hung toilet in between ....the plumber has fitted the toilet frame off square, the whole room is off square and couldn't be corrected due to other issues .....but it must line through properly or it would look a riot !! .....the vertical line MUST match on the opposing walls ....anything else just doesnt work ....I need to know how I ensure the laser is SQUARE to the line I want to transfer, so It's accurate when I transfer it .....but HOW, can I do that when there's NOTHING to square it from !!! :mad2: .......I have already done it but it was by a major long process ....I'm sure there must have been an easier technique....that's what I'd like to find out for future reference ! ....I'll post a photo later

D

Droopy

I honestly can't make sense of what you mean by this, mate.

If the walls are opposite each other, and the room is totally out of square, all you can do is centre both walls.

Reply to How do I Transfer a vertical setting out line ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen