Search the forum,

Discuss How do I Transfer a vertical setting out line ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The D

I would suggest reading the whole thread ....even if I could get this massive square from somewhere ....what would I put it against to make sure that it's sitting "square" ????
The square dose not have to be massive a standard roofing square will do and you would just place one side of the square on wall (A) the square will do the rest. I would go in to more detail but to be honest I have just had a look at your profile and think that if you have been tiling for 15 years and can’t work out how to use a square then there is not much point wasting my time trying to explain it.:mad2:

A

AllurePTS

The square dose not have to be massive a standard roofing square will do and you would just place one side of the square on wall (A) the square will do the rest. I would go in to more detail but to be honest I have just had a look at your profile and think that if you have been tiling for 15 years and can’t work out how to use a square then there is not much point wasting my time trying to explain it.:mad2:

No it wont mate !!! lol !!!!....wall A is off square, If I put a a square on it, how do I ensure that I get it 90 degrees to the line I want to take across the room , so that I can copy the vertical line in the same position of the opposing wall .....because it's all running off ...get me ??

I've included a drawing as well here, maybe that will help :hurray:

Now then ....this seemed (to me) the most sensible way to do this, maybe somebody else knows better, I dunno, but that's why I'm asking guys :yes:

Ok, Wall A is very busy with lots of things you cant see in the photo ...there's a window, a fan , a switch, a sink and another vertical box in ....so to me, it makes sense that Wall A must dictate the best set out for the tiles, to get the most even result.

However, the Toilet front (C) and the back wall (D) are also off square in opposite directions .....which would look attrocious if I simply "centred the walls and took the tiles round the room on the horizontal like you normally would ! .....still with me ?

So, the only way to get the right result is to let wall A dictate the layout, make sure that the VERTICAL line matches on the opposing wall (B) ...then I know how much I need to straighten out in between, so that it looks right ......that's the thing that I don't know how to achieve, when everything is on the p*ss and theres nothing to get a square from - i.e a true 90 degree, to copy the line across the room

In the line picture, the red signifies the walls and the toilet front ....the blue is how I need to tile it, for it to look right .....so the vertical must line through on opposing walls or it looks different on both sides ....with me ?

allurepts-albums-things-discussion-picture1427-bathroom-drawing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AllurePTS

valuable contribution, very professional - cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sstilingservice

Would this work draw striaght line from each corner then measure exact same lengths up each diagonal lines draw a square then find the centre of the this area a whey hey new datum lines centre of room I thnk you can laugh if you think this is a stupid idea just thought I would carry this thread ooooooooooooooon a little bit longer :grin:

Attachments

• centre.bmp
    576.1 KB · Views: 35

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
im kinda confused as well and having been out drinking all last night doesnt help either :8: but i have a autocross laserliner with a horizontal and 2 vertical beams and i can transfer a vertical line from one wall to the other with it , what you reckon... :huh2: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
A

AllurePTS

Yes, that would work perfectly sst ....just not practical to do on my own in this particular case ....remember the picture ? ....I can't get into the corners at the back, because the step ups, come out about a metre and are about 4 feet high ! ...b*tch of a room !!!

Andy - P ....yes mate, I have an autocross laser too ...that's what I'd really like to use if possible ...trouble is, how do I make sure I'm holding the laser at 90 degrees to the line I want to transfer ? ....that's the thing I'm trying to work out really, as I've got nothing to square from.

It's probably not hard ....it's just one of those things that I've never thought about before because I've never had any need to do it ! ....I did get there ......but it was so much grief, I just thought....there must be an easy way of doing this ! lol

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
regarding the autocross laser you switch on the vertical and horizontal beam, your horizontal beam is kept parallel with the wall you are transfering the vertical from, does that make sense?? :thumbsup:

Reply to How do I Transfer a vertical setting out line ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen