Search the forum,

Discuss HELP ceramic wall tiling on ply HELP PVA??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

ukfiregod

Hi ive just finished putting PVA on my marine ply ready for tiling! then i read that you shouldnt use PVA!!!!

Is this true and if so how do i get rid of the PVA i just put on????

Help Please:furious3: :mad2:

Last edited by a moderator:
F

floydyboy

I Have Been To Builders Merchants And Diy Stores Today And Looked At Several Adhesives And The Majority Of Them Stated Pva ,only A Small Few Stated Other Primer.i Have Been Doing A Tiling Job Tonight On An Empty House And Noticed A Small Tub Of Bal Adhesive Wat Did It Say On The Back Of It All Surfaces Should Be Sealed With A Pva Mix Of 4 To 1 I Rest My Case.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would wash and scrub it with warm water. You'll probably be able to feel where it still is with your fingers. If that works then let it dry then prime with APD.
No guarantee with this suggestion but that is what I would do.
Good luck

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I Have Been To Builders Merchants And Diy Stores Today And Looked At Several Adhesives And The Majority Of Them Stated Pva ,only A Small Few Stated Other Primer.i Have Been Doing A Tiling Job Tonight On An Empty House And Noticed A Small Tub Of Bal Adhesive Wat Did It Say On The Back Of It All Surfaces Should Be Sealed With A Pva Mix Of 4 To 1 I Rest My Case.

Most Addies + grouts claim to be waterproof which of course they are not.
Don't believe what you read on the tin!!

F

Fred

You will probably not get rid of the PVA now, as any sort of cleaning may harm the ply. You'll just have to tile and hope for the best this time. In future use a good acrylic bonding paste. The PVA sits on the surface and does not penetrate, unlike acrylic which soaks in and seals.

D

DHTiling

I dont know about other adhesive manufactures recommendations but BAL DO NOT recommend PVA..at all....check out there product data here and you will see.............And if you are happy using PVA as a primer then go ahead....

Ready Mixed Adhesives
BAL Green Star
BAL Blue Star
BAL White Star
BAL Grip

Polymer Modified Adhesives
BAL Gold Star
BAL CTF3
BAL Rapidset
BAL Pourable Thick Bed

Highly Polymer Modified Adhesives
BAL Single Part Flexible
[DLMURL="http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/bal/bal_products/rapidset_flexible.asp"]BAL Rapidset Flexible[/DLMURL]
BAL PTB Flexible
BAL Green Screed Adhesive
BAL Mosaic-Fix Tile Adhesive

Last edited by a moderator:
F

floydyboy

Unibond , Evo Stick T&p, And B&q Own Brands I Know Not Very Good But Still Advise Pva. I Always Read The Instructions And Do Wat They Recomend.

Reply to HELP ceramic wall tiling on ply HELP PVA??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen