• Thread starter flynny
  • Start date
  • Replies 17
  • Views 4K
Search the forum,

Discuss Gyvlon nightmare in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

flynny

hi guys
hope you can help me I have laid a floor over a gyvlon screed and didn't realise that you should take the top layer off the screed, the tiles are stuck at the moment but the ufh has not been switched on yet so fingers crossed but my question is should the screed company leave some data spec or should I be aware of what to do

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum flynny.
Are you a pro tiler?
We encourage new members to give us a little background info on themselves, it helps with the level of advice given.
If you are a pro tiler then .......the latter I'm afraid. :(

H

hmtiling

hi guys
hope you can help me I have laid a floor over a gyvlon screed and didn't realise that you should take the top layer off the screed, the tiles are stuck at the moment but the ufh has not been switched on yet so fingers crossed but my question is should the screed company leave some data spec or should I be aware of what to do
In all honesty, i think you should know the procedure if charging for a specialized job. That would entail sanding, commissioning heating, moisture testing and using gypsum based adhesive.
That being said i don't think suppliers of these screeds should have no responsibility for the coverings being fixed to them and should, as you said, leave some sort of info to clients and finishing trades.

F

flynny

Yes I know what your saying, I did do a little research on the screed ie drying times,gypsum based adhesive, priming but didn't look for taking the top layer off the screed
Hi and welcome to the forum flynny.
Are you a pro tiler?
We encourage new members to give us a little background info on themselves, it helps with the level of advice given.
If you are a pro tiler then .......the latter I'm afraid. :(
unfortunately yes been in the game over 20 years and for the first time I feel like a amateur

O

One Day

@Ajax123 - (or anyone else)
Have there been any legal cases yet involving a fixer not knowing what he was fixing to?

Personally, I think that the screed installer should be legally bound to leave an indicator in the screed - something physical to identify what it is. With QR codes and everyone carrying smart phones these days, it isn't exactly a quantum leap in technology but would REALLY help the next guy along out.

O

One Day

Yes I know what your saying, I did do a little research on the screed ie drying times,gypsum based adhesive, priming but didn't look for taking the top layer off the screed

unfortunately yes been in the game over 20 years and for the first time I feel like a amateur

Happens to the best of us! Shows the importance of keeping up with the "geek" side of the industry I suppose.
Also highlights the way we are let down by other trades - time and again... (see my comments above)

O

Old Mod

We all have occasions like that mate, whether it be to a greater or lesser degree.
Don't beat yourself up too much, just got to deal with it now.
Well if guys on here can help, they will.
Fingers crossed.

O

Old Mod

@Ajax123 - (or anyone else)
Have there been any legal cases yet involving a fixer not knowing what he was fixing to?

Personally, I think that the screed installer should be legally bound to leave an indicator in the screed - something physical to identify what it is. With QR codes and everyone carrying smart phones these days, it isn't exactly a quantum leap in technology but would REALLY help the next guy along out.
Nice idea Imp!

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The trouble is, most of the companies laying the screeds have no idea what you should do after they have laid the floor.
Ufh and gypsum screeds have been around for a long time now. the trouble is, we normally read instructions when comiming across somthing fir the first time. But for this. There are NO instructions without researching the Internet.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
We've been down this road many times and Alan (ajax) opinion all screeds should be sanded.
So hands up...who Sands a sand and cement screed?.

Reply to Gyvlon nightmare in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen