Search the forum,

Discuss Grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

felix

I tiled a kitchen floor a couple of months. The floor was concrete and was level. I did the job and the customer was delighted. Now two months on he says some of the grout has cracked. I don't understand how it could have cracked because there is no movement in the floor.

Can anyone help please?

E

enduro

Did you mix the grout up to wet, also if you laid porcelain tiles you must use a flexible grout even if it is on a concrete floor, as normal floor grout wont stick to the edges of the tiles.

D

DHTiling

Is the floor a "warmafloor".. This is a concrete floor that is laid onto a king-span polystyrene base .. thus creating a floating floor effect and needs flexi adhesives and grouts.......worth a thought....

F

felix

I used the same grout and adhesive I use for any floor. The only difference is I didn't ply it first. I've spoke to the customer again and its only one grout line. The tiles were 300 x 600 porcelain. Because its only the one grout line I'm wondering if maybe its something the customer has done

F

felix

I've not seen it yet. He didn't say where it was. I'm going to look at it tonight. I'm quite gutted because I've never been called back to a job before. My pride is a bit dented

G

GazTech

I tiled a kitchen floor a couple of months. The floor was concrete and was level. I did the job and the customer was delighted. Now two months on he says some of the grout has cracked. I don't understand how it could have cracked because there is no movement in the floor.

Can anyone help please?
You say it is concrete.....
----
I used the same grout and adhesive I use for any floor. The only difference is I didn't ply it first. I've spoke to the customer again and its only one grout line. The tiles were 300 x 600 porcelain. Because its only the one grout line I'm wondering if maybe its something the customer has done
Bit confused Felix over your posts....can you clear it up ? ...Gaz

Last edited by a moderator:
F

felix

Normally when I tile onto floorboards, chipboard etc then I ply the floor. Because this floor was concete and level I didn't ply it because I knew there would be no movement in it.

I used the same addy and grout as I would use for any floor whether it needs ply or not. Hopefully that is a bit clearer than what i wrote before.

As far as I'm aware there is nothing that should have made that grout crack.

Reply to Grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Anyone know where I could find this tile to replace cracked ones. It is a floor tile and...
Replies
Views
Our house is approx 20 years old. Over the past 2 years or so hairline cracks have formed along...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen