Search the forum,

Discuss Grinding up weak latex in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Hi guys,

I've got some latex to remove that's been layed by a builder on a sand & cement screed, I ran a small scraper over it in different areas and it just broke down within seconds back to the screed, so I told client I couldn't tile onto that as it was too weak and the mix ratio must be incorrect ( too much water I guess ).....checked the latex and it's suitable for sand & cement screed but still I told client I wasn't prepared to do it and I've checked with the suppliers Fball and they have confirmed the mix is to weak.......the area of latex to be removed is 17 square metres.....can anyone give me any advice as the best way of getting this up as its only 2 to 3mm so would it be a rotary grinder I need?......any info/advice would greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Was looking at this for at quick fix, think I'll have 17 metres up within the hour

image.png

L

LM

I've re-read this thread, I may have read it wrong earlier. If it's a water based levelling compound that was used in the first place,'which it appears to be' then two things have probably went wrong. 1- no primer used, 2- too weak of a mix. Either or both of these factors will cause a failure with that type of leveller, in which case any simple force such as a hammer lightly applied or a heavy scrapper should debond the poor leveller from the substrate.
When we've laid rubber floors in particular in the past to hostile substrates we've had to remove contaminated existing leveller from sand and cement screeds, one of the easiest ways of doing this is with a 'GOOD' scrabbler that has depth adjustment! It does cost a bit to hire such a machine but without doubt it's the fastest method. If I was under pressure for time it's the way I would go, then again I've experience in doing this! Sometimes time is money! But if not simply chip away at it :(

M

MW Smith Ceramics

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I've re-read this thread, I may have read it wrong earlier. If it's a water based levelling compound that was used in the first place,'which it appears to be' then two things have probably went wrong. 1- no primer used, 2- too weak of a mix. Either or both of these factors will cause a failure with that type of leveller, in which case any simple force such as a hammer lightly applied or a heavy scrapper should debond the poor leveller from the substrate.
When we've laid rubber floors in particular in the past to hostile substrates we've had to remove contaminated existing leveller from sand and cement screeds, one of the easiest ways of doing this is with a 'GOOD' scrabbler that has depth adjustment! It does cost a bit to hire such a machine but without doubt it's the fastest method. If I was under pressure for time it's the way I would go, then again I've experience in doing this! Sometimes time is money! But if not simply chip away at it :(

Hi lee

Yes it was a water based leveller and I believe the mix ratio was incorrect with too much water being added and possibly not primed......not good, not good at all......I've put a price in to rectify all the prep & tile so I'll wait & see.......oh congrats on the promotion to trusted advisor!.......good on ya mate you certainly know your stuff :thumbsup:

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Yes this will do your job within the hour . Used one to prepare a gyvlon screed just last month. Just make sure you have a good extractor (Hoover) as it makes a lot of dust.

Cheers John,

Yes I think there is an extractor connected to it which takes it all in as you go, looks and now sounds like a good bit of kit I'll more than likely be using for future work, thanks for the feedback mate

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Hi Mark. Cheers for the quote. Too pricey for the small amount of space that needs tiling I'm afraid. I have spoken to the builder this morning who also laid the latex. He assures me it should be ok and would be willing to guarantee it from his perspective. If you would then rather not do the tiling on this basis then no worries, I'm happy to look elsewhere. Thanks Dav

L

LM

So there you have it as I expected, the cheap quick fix over doing the job properly......glad I'm not getting involved.....
Your absolutely right Mark not to do it on the cheap, sooner or later doing jobs half assed will cost you a lot of money and ruin your reputation. If they don't want to take the advice of a professional in the field over a general builder who knows a bit about everything :eek: then that's up to them. It'll more than likely end up costing them more in the long run :)

M

MW Smith Ceramics

:grinning:
Your absolutely right Mark not to do it on the cheap, sooner or later doing jobs half assed will cost you a lot of money and ruin your reputation. If they don't want to take the advice of a professional in the field over a general builder who knows a bit about everything :eek: then that's up to them. It'll more than likely end up costing them more in the long run :)

That's builders for you:thumbsdown:......'just get it down it'll be okay'.......couldn't agree with you more Lee, just thought I'd share that reply to my quote.......oh well you win some you lose some

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I did a quote for for a job myselfyesterday had to price up to remove a patchy crapy skim coat over sand and cement render on a en suite bathroom as the guy had pva all the walls over this patchy old skim coat and the guy clearly thought I was trying to have him over for a days pay ohhh well good luck to him and his walls ha

Needs it by the sounds of things, once tiled that won't last long

Reply to Grinding up weak latex in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement