Discuss How to prime sand and cement rendered walls with the top coat of gypsum plaster removed? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

RJW91

-
Reaction score
Afternoon everyone, just after a bit of advice on preparing some walls for ceramic, possibly porcelain (haven’t decided yet) wall tiles.

Okay so a bit of background information first of all, the gypsum finish plaster on all the walls in my new house is quite poorly adhered in most places, it scrapes off incredibly easily in many spots. I’ll be re-skimming everywhere, although to the best of my knowledge, there’a no practical reason to do this where I am going to be tiling the walls instead.

Underneath the gypsum plaster is what appears to be a sand and cement render. It’s got other bits and pieces thrown in by the looks of it, few bits of chalk here and there and some stones around 5-10mm. I believe the house was built in the early 70s and all the internal walls are 3” blockwork.

The actual render seems to be in quite a good condition, had a few bits blown here and there not much. I don’t think it’s got lots of lime in it, but my guess is as good as anyones I suppose.

I’ve attached a picture of what it looks like, although this isn’t one of the walls I intend to tile. I haven’t scraped the defective gypsum plaster off of those just yet, I’ll be doing that when it comes time to do the kitchen and bathroom but I anticipate them to be the same as this.

So, my question is, how should I prime these walls? When all the gypsum plaster is removed they are quite dusty and dry, so I don’t imagine putting adhesive straight over them would be appropriate. There are also small patches and what I can only describe as a thin smear of the gypsum plaster left in areas.

Again, it’s all sound and solid, however as I understand it gypsum plaster isn’t the best for tiling over? Also, I’m under the impression that PVA isn’t suitable either.

So yeah, any advice any of you can provide on how to go about preparing and priming these walls for tiling would be much appreciated. I would imagine that when the time comes I’ll be using a ready mixed adhesive, just in case that makes any difference.

0407BF28-D2E7-4E3F-A5C0-C5419021EB44.jpeg

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Difficult to tell from the photo, the render does look fairly sound and quite open in texture so therefore quite porous. I would clean well, wash down and hydrate with water, then apply a bonding solution say 1:6 water SBR. As you will be probably using tubbed addy a bit of suction in the background is okay. Hope this helps. ( if you use the primer neat you will likely kill all suction in the substrate.)

Reply to How to prime sand and cement rendered walls with the top coat of gypsum plaster removed? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks