Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Attaching brick slips to painted plasterboard and other questions in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Roshep

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover!
I am a DIYer, working on renovating a kitchen, utility room and cloakroom/shower room. My previous experience of tile is using large format porcelain tiles onto cement/foam backer board, on floors and walls in a bathroom with shower enclosure.

A little about the tiles I am planning on using and the substrate I have to work with:

1. Full wall of brickslips onto kitchen wall with 2 doorways, wall is emulsion painted plasterboard, fixed to studs, attached to bricks (old exterior wall before extension was built)

2. Metro tiles or 15cm square tiles to cover lower half of utility room, wall is skimmed plasterboard (old, paint stripped off), some dot n dabbed, some stud.

3. large format porcelain tiles in shower enclosure, 3 walls of skimmed plasterboard with some rotting in lower 50cm. One wall is dot n dabbed and most of the skim has come off with tiles but otherwise in reasonable condition, one has a few screw holes and rot at base, one will be boxed out to conceal mains pipe, new surface added for tiles and new bar shower attached.

Here are my thoughts on how to approach each area, I would appreciate if someone could check I am on the right track.

1. Kitchen: Attach 6mm tile backerboard to whole wall, through to studs, using gripfill and screws with washers. Attach brickslips with flexible cement based tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, point with sand and cement. Will this take the weight? Floor is suspended timber if that matters? Do I need the backerboard?

2. Utility room: Seal the bare plaster with BAL primer and use ready mix https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, attach tiles, grout with flexible mapei Any benefit to using the ready mix? is this the right primer? Any problems using basic thin square tiles at floor level? can this be done before laying LVT flooring?

3. Shower: Batten out wall with pipe and add support for shower, Attach 10mm thermal tile backer board to battens (left over from UF heating instalation). On wall with missing skim, remove all remaining skim, patch if necessary. On wall with skim, screw holes and some rot, either cut out and replace with backer board or replace worst section and make good. Fit shower tray Unite and waterproof the 3 walls and tray using mapei tanking kit. Attach tiles using flexible cement https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout.

Can anyone see any glaring problems with these solutions? Trying to keep costs down as much as is sensible. Shower is almost never used so I dont want to over engineer it.

Thanks anyone who has read this far! I hope I have explained myself clearly enough, I really appreciate anyone's advice on this!

Reply to Attaching brick slips to painted plasterboard and other questions in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock