Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Floor tiles on asphalt, which adhesive/ grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

simonrad

Hi Guys, this is my first post, hope someone can help. I am laying ceramic tiles onto a sanded asphalt floor (internal porch), the asphalt looks flat but I had to fill gaps at the edge along the door and noticed that the asphalt was not too thick and there was some sand below. I am not sure how thick teh rest will be, I am hoping that this was thinner as this was an edge, it also dipped a few mm from the main floor area. My concern is will there be any flexing, I've been advised that I should use Dunlop rapid set plus (which is supposed to have some flex) along with a standard grout and also the same adhesive with a flexible grout.
Could anyone confirm the best solution?
thanks

W

White Room

I would use spf adhesive with a flexible grout, Just make sure the asphalt is not to thin

T

Twid

It does not sound too good a surface to tile onto. Make sure its well stuck and use a SPF adhesive if the bitumen is old and fully cured. :grouphug:

S

Spud

do it in sand and cement and put wire mesh through the bed if you have the threshold height this will be the best solution

S

simonrad

thanks for replies,
asphalt is flooring grade, well cured
there is not enough height to do the sand/cement option

can anyone give more detail on spf? is this BAL spf? or are there any other products I can use, (I assume the Dunlop Set Fast Plus is not spf?)

thanks again

W

White Room

I would be using mapei Keraquick plus there grout as well, It's whats available in your area

B

Branty

You can use any a spf on flooring grade ashphalt. Check it's sound not brittle or soft, and nice and clean.
Set fast plus, is an spf so yes, you can use it

L

LM Ceramics

i would always use flexi adhesive on any asphalt surface with flexi grout bal spf is a single part flexi you could use a porcelbond adhesive for asphalt

M

M &j tiling

What is the best adhesive to use for ashfelt floor/roof it has had 3 layers of roofing grade ashfelt so 12mm thick

T

Tiler for 15 years plus

thanks for replies,
asphalt is flooring grade, well cured
there is not enough height to do the sand/cement option

can anyone give more detail on spf? is this BAL spf? or are there any other products I can use, (I assume the Dunlop Set Fast Plus is not spf?)

thanks again
Dont use bal ...I've had nothing but trouble from bal flexi one to the spf .. and now bal say every excuse under the book ..yet 15 years ago I had no problem in other rooms ... put bluntly ..bal = rubbish

T

Tiler 15 years plus

Dont use bal dont use bal spf had problems with newer floor bal refuse to say there adhesive is powdery..every excuse yet 15 years plus other floor never had any problems ..fobbed off by there spec sheets and excuses ...

Reply to Floor tiles on asphalt, which adhesive/ grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks