Search the forum,

Discuss Floor tiles on asphalt, which adhesive/ grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

simonrad

Hi Guys, this is my first post, hope someone can help. I am laying ceramic tiles onto a sanded asphalt floor (internal porch), the asphalt looks flat but I had to fill gaps at the edge along the door and noticed that the asphalt was not too thick and there was some sand below. I am not sure how thick teh rest will be, I am hoping that this was thinner as this was an edge, it also dipped a few mm from the main floor area. My concern is will there be any flexing, I've been advised that I should use Dunlop rapid set plus (which is supposed to have some flex) along with a standard grout and also the same adhesive with a flexible grout.
Could anyone confirm the best solution?
thanks

W

White Room

I would use spf adhesive with a flexible grout, Just make sure the asphalt is not to thin

T

Twid

It does not sound too good a surface to tile onto. Make sure its well stuck and use a SPF adhesive if the bitumen is old and fully cured. :grouphug:

S

Spud

do it in sand and cement and put wire mesh through the bed if you have the threshold height this will be the best solution

S

simonrad

thanks for replies,
asphalt is flooring grade, well cured
there is not enough height to do the sand/cement option

can anyone give more detail on spf? is this BAL spf? or are there any other products I can use, (I assume the Dunlop Set Fast Plus is not spf?)

thanks again

W

White Room

I would be using mapei Keraquick plus there grout as well, It's whats available in your area

B

Branty

You can use any a spf on flooring grade ashphalt. Check it's sound not brittle or soft, and nice and clean.
Set fast plus, is an spf so yes, you can use it

Reply to Floor tiles on asphalt, which adhesive/ grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen