Discuss floor screeding info in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That website should be BANNED for it's flagrant abuse of fact most especially in relation to its flowing screed section. Some of the ridiculous comments made are quite preposterous and some of the claims have remained unsubstantiated despite several requests for case details. I know of at least 2 major screed suppliers who supply both flowing and dry screeds have asked the owner to modify some of his comments and to remove others altogether. Screeding information my eye more like screeding propoganda...........

G

Gazzer

That website should be BANNED for it's flagrant abuse of fact most especially in relation to its flowing screed section. Some of the ridiculous comments made are quite preposterous and some of the claims have remained unsubstantiated despite several requests for case details. I know of at least 2 major screed suppliers who supply both flowing and dry screeds have asked the owner to modify some of his comments and to remove others altogether. Screeding information my eye more like screeding propoganda...........

Oooops

R

Rich

I have put up a few info posts that have touched on screeds and it seems to be a bit of a spikey subject, the info seems to be hard to get hold of and when you do a lot of it seems to be wrong.

Can you recommend the best place to get the right info Alan? It is very important stuff and something that very few of us know as well as we should (inside and out).

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

I have just reading the flowing screed section and see where Alan is coming from..

S

Spud

flow screeds can be problematic for tilers and do need to be handled with greater care when installing tiles on to them that said they are extremely popular in Europe on residential jobs,I did find that the bathrooms were often screeded in sand and cement even if the rest of the floors were anhydrite due to the fact gypsum screeds dont take water well

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
flow screeds can be problematic for tilers and do need to be handled with greater care when installing tiles on to them that said they are extremely popular in Europe on residential jobs,I did find that the bathrooms were often screeded in sand and cement even if the rest of the floors were anhydrite due to the fact gypsum screeds dont take water well

Not sure where in Europe you were working but in France is is actually building code which drives cement screeds into bathrooms. i can never understand the phrase "gypsum screeds don't take water well". they take water just the same way as other screeds don't they.

S

Spud

Not sure where in Europe you were working but in France is is actually building code which drives cement screeds into bathrooms. i can never understand the phrase "gypsum screeds don't take water well". they take water just the same way as other screeds don't they.
I guess that Statement is slightly vague Alan, to clear it up I was always told that tile installations on gypsums screeds are prone to failing if they come into contact with excessive amount of water ,this was back in Germany in the 90's perhaps its why the french have made it a bulding reg for cement based screeds in bathrooms,perhaps I was misinformed but I thought gypsum/alabaster is water soluble

D

DHTiling

My understanding is that Gypsum screeds are not suitable for wet areas like bathrooms etc Al..?

Reply to floor screeding info in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
I've just had the whole ground floor of a house we are working on levelled with a pump in liquid...
Replies
Views
Bishbbashbosh
B
Hi folks, We're having our downstairs tiles installed soon, about 82m2 of 1.2x1.2m square...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay