Search the forum,

Discuss Floor prep.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What would you guys do with this before you tiled it? Joists are 5x2, boards are just over 1/2".

18mm ply pver the lot? Have to be carefull that I dont pierce pipework with screws!! :yikes: Unfortunatly theres a lot of it under there, including gas.......

Or would you lift the boards and screw 18mm directly to the joists?

DSC_2662.jpg
pencil.png

C

CJ CERAMICS

looking at the picture.....with amount of loose boards and cut boards you would have to ensure that all boards are screwed down anyway before overboarding so i would remove them and replace them with 18mm wpb.
chris

G

Gazzer

Well if you were thinking of overboarding with 18mm then height cant be an issue. I would remove all boards, maybe alter pipework while I coould. Overboard with 22 or 25 mm ply then a 6mm tile backerboard. Jobs a goodun and will last many years.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Height isnt to much of an issue but obviously I cant go too mad. There was a lot in the room:-

Vectis Rd.jpg Vectis Rd1.jpg Vectis rd2.jpg

and its all going back, allbeit in different places. Bath and shower positions are swapping and basin going over by rad. Floor has a bounce if I jump on it and Im no heavywieght, (12.5 stone).

Never been overly concerned before but this ones got me thinking a bit! Walls are all over the place, as was the ceiling.

Had to overboard the ceiling due to Artex not being adhered, dubbed out all the high spots and the two coats of multi:-
DSC_2664.jpg

Right hand wall looked like this:-

DSC_2663.jpg

:yikes:

Spent three days on the prep so far, two bags of bonding and two bags of multi!

Last edited:
D

doug boardley

I'd go,same as Sir Ramic, rip out the floor and replace with 22mm wbp and hardibacker

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Oops, just thought I havent given the full picture....!

Wall with window and to the left of window are outside walls. To the right and immediatly to the left of the door are masonry partiotion walls that are, wait for it, (drum roll please....), sat on the bloody joists! No steel just good ole timber. :yikes:

D

darragh

just a thought but id be tempted to lift old boards, fix 18mm ply, then ditra matting

W

White Room

Spent three days on the prep so far, two bags of bonding and two bags of multi![/QUOTE]

Really:blush2:

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
that also includes the rip out and overboarding ceiling, not just four bags of gypsum! Also had to add timber in loft due to joist being in the wrong place and a lack of them.......

Reply to Floor prep.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen