Discuss First Time Limestone Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

right lads, appreciate all the advice. so i went to the client and suggested decoupling, got a flat out no in reply, i said in that case i make no guarantees, the client says couldn't give a toss just get it done.. who am i to argue? fascinating thread btw does it always get so heated round here? :D some lovely pics there too..
start next week I'll let you know how it goes..

The Anhydrate-Screed needs to be prepped properly!

1) Calcium-Carbide Moister measurement test. The moisture can't exceed 0.5% (with UFH 0.3%)
2) Laitence layer removed
3) Prime
4) Tiling can begin
5)Decoupling is not needed, to avoid cracking(longevity) movement joints need to be installed correctly!
i've been told by the builder that laitence has been removed. the screed was laid three months ago so hopefully its gone off..

Haha heated! This thread?
That's not heated, it's just a healthy debate! :p
I bet you never thought u'd have such an impact on your first day tho did u? Haha :D
Well at least you know where u stand with the client, so that's a good thing!
Yeah be very interesting to see how you go Harry.
Remember, if u get stuck, start a new thread!!!! Hahahaha
Good luck.
hahaha yeah wasn't expecting that to be honest.. ill post some pics when its done. cheers for the luck i may yet need it!!

O

Old Mod

hahaha yeah wasn't expecting that to be honest.. ill post some pics when its done. cheers for the luck i may yet need it!!
Well, we'll be here if u get stuck! :D
Progress pics, we love them too! :)
U can create an album on your media page then they'll always be easily accessible.
Then if anyone wants to see what you're all about, they'll be able to see your work.
And if u want to look at other members, just click their avatar above their name and ill see either 'media page' or 'albums page'
image.jpeg

T

Time's Ran Out

just work super clean, seal once laid, grout, seal again. thats the plan. anything i should know?

I'd be tempted to seal limestone as you get them out of the crate. Any moisture from sponges, adhesive, hands etc will dry at different times and leave damp patchy areas when you come to seal it.
There is a line of thought that would suggest you will be trapping the moisture from the adhesive in, but by using a fast set flexible and flat skimming the back of the tiles, it's not something that I've encountered.

So there have been some hold ups but I've finally got going. I laid the fracture matting - I asked for ditra and got just that fabric gear - and 16m of stone on Friday. The client has been in over the weekend and doesn't like the colour of the stone - too brown - is there anything I can do to lighten it somehow? Feels like a long shot but I thought id ask before they make me knock it all up again..

So there have been some hold ups but I've finally got going. I laid the fracture matting - I asked for ditra and got just that fabric gear - and 16m of stone on Friday. The client has been in over the weekend and doesn't like the colour of the stone - too brown - is there anything I can do to lighten it somehow? Feels like a long shot but I thought id ask before they make me knock it all up again..

T

Tile Shop

Thats a soul destroying position to be in. We had a similar issue with travertine which was being laid onto Aquapanel.

Customer had a sample and liked the colour originally, ordered the tiles, tiler half fitted them and the customer complained they were too dark. We asked her to hold the sample up against it the following day to leave the adhesive to set, and sure enough they were the same shade. She was then happy to let the tiler continue.

I'm willing to bet that if the customer left viewing it until it was complete, they wouldn't complain. But the contrast between the stone and such a light background, exaggerates the contrast making the tiles appear darker. Kinda like an optical illusion. If they were happy with the colour before you started, lay a loose tile down and see if this is the case.

Couple of other factors to take into account.... Lighting, and grout. Grouting in a light colour will also lighten the overall appearance. Maybe try grouting a few tiles in good lighting to see if it alters their opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to First Time Limestone Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We're quoting to rip up and replace a tiled floor with Limestone tiles. I'm looking for advice...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi, 1st time tiling, decided our ensuite would benefit from being a wetroom. Quick question, any...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB