Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss dissolving backing - glass metro tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

cazzapop

Hi,
Looking for some ideas about what could have caused our lovely glass tiles to look like they are either wet behind them or the backing coating is dissolving away.
At first we thought they were still drying out but as the weeks have progressed there are more and more 'patches' where it looks as if they are not adhered properly.
Could this be due to an apllication/ adhesive problem? Should we strip them and start again? There were no special instructions with the tiles. Standard glass metro tiles from topps tiles. I am assured glass adhesive was used by our tiler.
I will try attach some pics to show our problem and would be grateful for any ideas as to the cause or if we should wait (been 3 months since done) and see if dries out.
Thanking you all.

Attachments

• 2014-01-05 11.23.28.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 2014-01-05 11.23.48.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 2014-01-05 11.24.44.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 76
  • 2014-01-05 11.28.07.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 70

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Looks like the backing has been affected by the cement.

Did your tiler use "slow set"?

Not a lot can be done, other than remove and replace.

S

Stef

I've saw glass tiles & they have a vinyl backing on them. You can pick at it & peel it off but its part of the tile, it isn't meant to come off.
As CJ says there isn't a lot you can do with them other than replace them.
Do you know the exact adhesive that was used?

M

Mr Tiler

Your a lad ! read a bit more about where tiles of all materials come from ,T..........and the different materials they are made from, and how they are made... then you don't sound like Donkey when you speak write......love-you T

understood dave tbh I need to start looking up different tyle types ive jut concentrated on the actual tiling side mainly :thumbsup:

W

White Room

Had some problem with some Benetton branded tiles quite a few years ago, soon after the backing was changed but the supplier did pay for me to replace....

R

Rookery

I've fixed glass tiles in the past (not these) where it said on the box NOT to use a cement based adhesive as it reacts with the coating on the back of the tile. In these situations I use White Star.

P

Pebbs

Rookery is right, I had this happen on a contract some years ago. Saying that though whoever sold them to you should have made you more than aware of the correct adhesive.

Pebbs

M

Mr Tiler

Hahaha I'm half on here half trying to get a 50 yr old Horny train set going so concentration is not so good atm cam :thumbsup:

Reply to dissolving backing - glass metro tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks