Search the forum,

Discuss dissolving backing - glass metro tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

cazzapop

Hi,
Looking for some ideas about what could have caused our lovely glass tiles to look like they are either wet behind them or the backing coating is dissolving away.
At first we thought they were still drying out but as the weeks have progressed there are more and more 'patches' where it looks as if they are not adhered properly.
Could this be due to an apllication/ adhesive problem? Should we strip them and start again? There were no special instructions with the tiles. Standard glass metro tiles from topps tiles. I am assured glass adhesive was used by our tiler.
I will try attach some pics to show our problem and would be grateful for any ideas as to the cause or if we should wait (been 3 months since done) and see if dries out.
Thanking you all.

Attachments

• 2014-01-05 11.23.28.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 2014-01-05 11.23.48.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 2014-01-05 11.24.44.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 77
  • 2014-01-05 11.28.07.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 71

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Looks like the backing has been affected by the cement.

Did your tiler use "slow set"?

Not a lot can be done, other than remove and replace.

S

Stef

I've saw glass tiles & they have a vinyl backing on them. You can pick at it & peel it off but its part of the tile, it isn't meant to come off.
As CJ says there isn't a lot you can do with them other than replace them.
Do you know the exact adhesive that was used?

M

Mr Tiler

Your a lad ! read a bit more about where tiles of all materials come from ,T..........and the different materials they are made from, and how they are made... then you don't sound like Donkey when you speak write......love-you T

understood dave tbh I need to start looking up different tyle types ive jut concentrated on the actual tiling side mainly :thumbsup:

W

White Room

Had some problem with some Benetton branded tiles quite a few years ago, soon after the backing was changed but the supplier did pay for me to replace....

Reply to dissolving backing - glass metro tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen