Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Cleaned the Tiles - Grouts gone Funny!? Advice in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jparker86

Hello people,
I have just brought a new house and it has some porcalin tiles with a rough surface / finish. They was filthy beyond belief, but suspect it was because the house was laid empty for almost 2 years and no one has bothered to clean them.
If I got on the floor and scrubbed them they did come up like new, but with the size of the area I felt it was best to get the help of some cleaning solution.
I had some Sodium Hydroxide solution in a bottle and used this on the tile and couldn't believe it- they come up like new. Only thing is the grout has gone a weird grey colour. Is this because the grout has come up like new also or has it damaged it?
If im honest I hate the floor but can't really be bothered to replace it so want to do my best to bring it up like new.
picture of the area cleaned:

IMG_6027.jpg

Jason

M

Mr T

Looks like normal. Grey grout to me mate... What colour was it before was it just dark with filth?

J

jparker86

If you look at the bottom in the middle of the picture you can see the grout change colour. This is where the Sodium Hydroxide hasn't been. Can you see its a lot darker?

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Hard to tell, looks like a mid grey grout and the section you haven't cleaned is muck ? what happens if you try and scrape ( lightly ) at the darker area ?

M

Mr T

The one in the middle of the pic looks like its got 2 cracks running rite through the tile and the one next to it unless is just excess cleaning solution on the grain of the tile... Tbh it looks fine mate just give the rest of it a goof clean as long as the grouts supposed to be grey should be ok but im not a pro mate

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Looks a bit like the adhesive has not been cleaned outta the joint prior to grouting to me,Anymore pics?

J

jparker86

Im not at the house now to take some pictures but as soon as I get home ill get some more up.
What is the best thing to use to clean these porcalin tiles? sodium hydroxide i read mixed reviews but appears to have done a good job in bringing the file back to life?

M

Mr T

Mate those tiles look ok to me I would just stick to what your using and make sure the grout joint get an even scrub and you should be ok

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Fila do an excellent grout cleaner available at Topps. Give the grout joints a good clean. The dark markings do look a bit like adhesive poking through. There's no telling what your grout colour is yet. But if the cleaner brings it up, apply a protector and then set to work on removing 2 years of dried grim from the surface of the tile. Of course give it a mop a few times before you clean the grout. Just warm water. Leave the stubborn cleaning until after you've protected the grouting.

J

jparker86

Fila do an excellent grout cleaner available at Topps. Give the grout joints a good clean. The dark markings do look a bit like adhesive poking through. There's no telling what your grout colour is yet. But if the cleaner brings it up, apply a protector and then set to work on removing 2 years of dried grim from the surface of the tile. Of course give it a mop a few times before you clean the grout. Just warm water. Leave the stubborn cleaning until after you've protected the grouting.

is sodium hydroxide ok for cleaning tiles

Reply to Cleaned the Tiles - Grouts gone Funny!? Advice in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks