Search the forum,

Discuss Cleaned the Tiles - Grouts gone Funny!? Advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

jparker86

Hello people,
I have just brought a new house and it has some porcalin tiles with a rough surface / finish. They was filthy beyond belief, but suspect it was because the house was laid empty for almost 2 years and no one has bothered to clean them.
If I got on the floor and scrubbed them they did come up like new, but with the size of the area I felt it was best to get the help of some cleaning solution.
I had some Sodium Hydroxide solution in a bottle and used this on the tile and couldn't believe it- they come up like new. Only thing is the grout has gone a weird grey colour. Is this because the grout has come up like new also or has it damaged it?
If im honest I hate the floor but can't really be bothered to replace it so want to do my best to bring it up like new.
picture of the area cleaned:

IMG_6027.jpg

Jason

M

Mr T

Looks like normal. Grey grout to me mate... What colour was it before was it just dark with filth?

J

jparker86

If you look at the bottom in the middle of the picture you can see the grout change colour. This is where the Sodium Hydroxide hasn't been. Can you see its a lot darker?

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Hard to tell, looks like a mid grey grout and the section you haven't cleaned is muck ? what happens if you try and scrape ( lightly ) at the darker area ?

M

Mr T

The one in the middle of the pic looks like its got 2 cracks running rite through the tile and the one next to it unless is just excess cleaning solution on the grain of the tile... Tbh it looks fine mate just give the rest of it a goof clean as long as the grouts supposed to be grey should be ok but im not a pro mate

Reply to Cleaned the Tiles - Grouts gone Funny!? Advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen