Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Clean grout from new bathroom tiles in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Rudy45

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Just had bathroom tiled. Good job but grout on wall tiles has seaped its way into every groove of the tile...floor tiles are spotless though.

tilemountain.co.uk/p/yosemite-grey-split-face-wall-tile

Ive made some progress with tile cleaning pads and dertedek residue remover, this worked wonders on grout haze on downstairs tiles...

Also using plastic scraper but its a real pain.

Just wondering if any tips to speed things up, should i use copper wire brush maybe or put acid on neat...?

IMAG0707.jpg IMAG0708.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

Did you have a Tiler in or was it DIY?
I can’t imagine a professional tiler leaving it in such a state, but if that is the case I’d get him back!
If DIY then try a wire brush with cement cleaner on a unobtrusive area to see how effective it is. Protect all surfaces and use in well ventilated area.
Those pictures are shocking.

Wayne Brown

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That's a poor grouting job and will, be a pita to correct, but needs doing take some advise from the the grout manufacturer on products suitable to remove the excess and as John said above be careful the product will be acid based ppe and make sure the area is well ventilated. Kop

OP
R

Rudy45

TF
Reaction score
Done by pro tiler. Not sure why job so poor although he did say prior to grouting wall they would be a pain to clean.

But having used tile acid before I told him I would clean them. He finished on a Friday, and wanted the place cleaned...etc

Every other aspect of job is perfect.

Will have to wear mask as there’s not even a window in my en-suite

The grout is mapei Manhattan grey

B

Bill

Grout has not seeped - it has just not been cleaned off properly.

The tiles are a pain to grout but any pro should manage to clean them.

Get the tiler back to clean them.

Wayne Brown

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I personally would not use wire of any sort he should of worked a smaller area and cleaned off far better , unfortunately elbow grease is the solution. Kop

OP
R

Rudy45

TF
Reaction score
This is a nightmare. I’m using file deterdek neat with Brillo pads and stainless steel scourers

No damag to tiles. I’ve having best progress with orange polishing cones on a Dremel but I’ve ran out.

Maybe that tells me this is a power tool job. Any tips as the orange cones ran out very quick.

W

Waluigi

Those tiles are a nightmare for this. The problem is that you often don’t see the grout when it’s wet. It only lightens and shows up when it’s dry. Bit extreme in this case though.

Tiler should’ve used a temporary Protective sealer

Last edited by a moderator:

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I think the easiest way would be to get the tiler back to do his job properly, imho.

F

Flintstone

Pointing with a grout bag and also using a tempory sealer is the way with these tiles. The bloke who's done the job is either totally incompetent or doesn't care. Yes there a pain to grout but so what, everything's a pain, you just get on with it. Call him back and tell him to sort his mess out.

OP
R

Rudy45

TF
Reaction score
Yea he’s coming back, phoned him today.

But what can he do that I already haven’t.

He told me that day the tiles would need cleaned the next day. I definitely attempted to clean them the next day but it was rock solid.

Maybe he was expecting as easy clean if done within 24 hours.

T

Tile Shop

If he gets too over-excited with sanding, even though the tiles are porcelain you can still tarnish the pattern. I personally wouldn't risk it.

It's hard on walls as grout removers ideally need to stay on the grout while it works. Gravity don't take too kindly to that idea on wall tiles.

The last time I had to do it with the LTP Grout Stain Remover (other brands are available), I put the solution in a spray bottle, shook the hell out of it to foam it up a little, sprayed it on the grout and constantly scrubbed with a mixture of a stiff bristled brush and a black emulsifying pad, occasionally spraying more solution on to keep it actively working. It will take the grout off slowly and you may need to use it neat, possibly 2-3 treatments in heavily soiled areas, but it will eventually work.

But very important, whoever does it using this method needs to open a window, wear a face-mask, goggles, rubber gloves, mask anything that is metal and give it a good rinse when its done.

Best of luck.

Reply to Clean grout from new bathroom tiles in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock